FCC investigators may face charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

A Tennessee police department wants to charge two civilian FCC investigators with impersonation of a police officer for claiming they were on a meth task force when they were actually checking out reports of radio interference. The case arises from hard feelings between two neighboring East Tennessee police departments. The story from the Kingsport Times-News:

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9007550

dtab55

very interested to see where this goes. Probably nothing will happend because there is also a federal law against interferance with federal employees while on official duty. But small town politics often rule.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Only one catch, the FCC has no connection to law enforcement whatsoever, that's the Treasury Department. Interfering with a field engineer is a big fat nothing, tell one to go to hell and he goes. Then you may have to deal with an Administrative Law Judge halfway across the country if they want to bust your chops.

"But small town politics often rule."

Only because pursuing the matter after the problem has been solved is pointless. Also consider the fact that these two are "low man on the totem pole" and now must account for their actions to the head of the 8th District Office in Detroit.

"Jackson said the keying over problem with his officer “miraculously ended” after the incident with FCC investigators in Church Hill on June 10."

Well gee, had the FCC guys identified themselves as such word would have spread like wildfire; problem solved.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't going after these FCC employees be like going after your postal carrier for delivering your mail late? I mean, they know where you live and can really make your life misserable. For instance, couldn't word get around to the other employees at the postal office to mistakenly misdirect your mail or return it to sender, or make sure your address is last on the delivery route? Couldn't word get around inside the FCC to mistakenly misplace or hold up your license renewal, or a new license at all..."sorry folks, those frequencies are already assigned," or "your license renewal fee has just gone up due to inflation?" I'm not saying either of these agencies are not professional and filled with professionals, but humans will be humans, and the George Heyduke "Get Even" factor might creep it's way in! Sounds like the two officers who had their feelings hurt because they were lied to would be better to let it go.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
"Well gee, had the FCC guys identified themselves as such word would have spread like wildfire; problem solved."

And may have resumed as soon as they were gone. While it's nice to at least temporarily stop the problem, I think it's pretty important to demonstrate that the government takes this seriously and that the suspect will be identified and punished. And if police officers are potential suspects, it seems to me that the investigation needs to be concealed from them until it bears fruit or is called off.

The whole thing about whether FCC guys are sworn LEO's is neither here nor there. They were the authorized investigators in this matter, and their technical expertise was required. Why tie up FBI, US Marshals, Treasury, etc. on something what would probably not require a physical arrest?

Edit - I also saw where Warren stated that "pursuing the matter after the problem has been solved is pointless."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Someone has been deliberately and selectively interfering with police communications. This is pretty serious when a civilian is the suspect. (remember that Wal-Mart worker in Wytheville, VA?) Why would it not be a problem when an LEO is the suspect? I would think that it's a much bigger problem to have an LEO flaunting the law and not getting caught.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Last edited:

hoser147

If they knew who they were, what chance of tracking down the person causing this? Seems they got bailed out a couple of times so I figure one higher power knew and the other didnt and their raisin a stink. My guess is it will disappear in time..

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
"I know you are making an example, but I have never seen where a public safety agency has to pay for a frequency license."

Haah, true enough, my brain farted! I guess they could say, sorry, all available frequencies (whatever band requested) in your area have been taken!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.