FCC Invites Comments on ARRL Technician Enhancement Proposal

Should U.S. amateur radio licensing (classes and privileges) be revamped?

• Turn it all over to the military; let them decide how to administer hobby radio services.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that it died. It's just a smaller part of it. As for digital vs. analog. If you look out there, lots of people doing very interesting things. ie. http://www.techlib.com/
it's just not ham radio as much, although some if it could easily be. (how about an amp that can go to 2 Mhz that has such low noise that you can tell the difference between the thermal noise of a 50 ohm resistor and a 100k ohm resistor. if I read it correctly. There is just so much to experiment with now ! ! I think homemade MRI's are even within reach ! !
Joel

W5lz

Just exactly who is this guy? Never heard of 'DX Commander' either. I do know that there is more disinformation in this than fact. As for the ARRL, I can't say what I think of that organization in public, in print. Neither this twerp nor the ARRL represents me.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I guess hams still breadboard radios, but nothing like this tube transmitter. The excitement of making a contact half way around the world with something you tuned by the arc off a pencil.... Imagine it !
Never breadboarded a transmitter, but I did make a variety of simpler projects like power supplies/converters, flash triggers and amplifiers.

Back in those days, equipment used components that could be sourced locally and didn't require a microscope to assemble. I like our modern technology, but miss some of the hands on projects of days (years) past.

It actually was a broadcast radio that I squeezed up higher to marine 2MHz channels, and I discovered 160m AM.
VK3RX

Part Two of ---- Coyote's Slow Death of Ham Radio

I'll run my drafts of any professional writings by my physicist side kick for her input, her criticisms or her outright guffaws... often these Forum posts fall her victim too. The following was no exception.

"What message are you trying to send here, Lauri ?"

That got me thinking- there is a message here- there's one in my last couple of posts, too.
I want to show the passage of a era; Of a time when ham radio was full of young people; things were exciting and love was in the air.

Ok, Scrap that last love part :).

If that excitement is lost on my readers its too bad. Its what I call the measure of an Old Fart, and I pity anyone for it. As the average amateur's is now contemporary with Methuselah I'm looking daily for more and more OF's.
But.......

Moving on to VK3RX's extract, and a memory :) -

When I lived in London there were quite a few Old Timers (OT's, not OF's) who like to tell this young Yank stories of their younger days as hams (post WW2, the Sixties-- those days.)
One facet they delited in was operating mobile- but not just any mobile. 160 Mobile.
Talk about technical challenges. They would construct their radio sets around their AM-BC band car radios. These valve (tube) transmitters were limited to 10 Watts (!) and used AM modulation- into humongous Tesla coil-like antennas mounted on tiny little English sedans. Some where I have photos of a Vauxhall Victor with an antenna so large it looks like it would over balance and tip the car on corners.

They told me of all their fun of motoring about the countryside, of talking London to Northern Ireland, Isle of Mann and other "exotic DX" (well, for 10 Watt 160 AM it certainly was !)
They talked to me of the round table chats on evening commutes home, sharing the band with French fishing trawlers, all the technical challenges 160 posed- And meanwhile these old fellow's eyes would be sparkling away as they told their tales.

The zest and enthusiams of these old guys still infects me today.

Lauri :sneaky:

5ff0.jpg

a Vauxhall

Last edited by a moderator:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this thread has wandered around a bit, but I'd really like for it to get back to the ARRL's proposal to increase privileges for the Technician class licensees.

Big Smiles ! :)

After over 400 posts spanning weeks and weeks, I can really appreciate how any topic can take on a life of its own.
The thankless job of a moderator- ahh ! to coral a herd of cats.... but I for one certainly appreciate it, W9BU.

When I retire from any field for the second time I usually keep my word... ( but we'll see :sneaky: )

However. this time, let me be clear in my feelings -----

One license, no more difficult than the old Novice Class
The exam may be taken with any certifable enity- an on line testing agency , at a sherrif's or the Post Office, ham VE, etc., etc
On renewal, which maybe at any time, all licensee's will receive the same, unlimited 'ticket'
The operator's license will be good for the life time of the holder, the station license ("callsign") to be renew'd every 10 years

Okay, this time I Promise--- no Mas !................ hee hee

Cheers ! :)

Lauri :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I tried to make the point, hundreds of posts back, that the new breed of hands on experimenters are on the digital side , Arduino, SDR, Maker Faire, Nuts N Volts, etc,. And that there should be an entry license question pool that rewards those with digital knowledge.

Yep, I agree. That's what's interesting kids these days. There have been a small handful of ham radio demonstrations at Maker Faire events, and from what I've heard, they've generated a fair amount of interest.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Folks, this thread has wandered around a bit, but I'd really like for it to get back to the ARRL's proposal to increase privileges for the Technician class licensees.
Perhaps creating a new Topic named something like "Is Ham Radio Doomed?" and moving the off-topic replies is possible? I can do that on the AVSIM.com forums where I'm one of the Admins, but don't know if this forum software supports such. There have been some very interesting 'off-topic' posts made in this thread... :geek:

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Just exactly who is this guy? Never heard of 'DX Commander' either. I do know that there is more disinformation in this than fact. As for the ARRL, I can't say what I think of that organization in public, in print. Neither this twerp nor the ARRL represents me.
Doesn't take too much to figure out who he is.... he has a youtube channel, I posted a link... look at this other videos and you'll answer your own question, who he is is irelevent.... he's trying to get the word out, that's all.

Last edited:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I think he was implying that the you tube guy is a sounds little "out there". Kind of funny how you tube and social media seem to have absorbed a lot of conspiracy people from ham radio, and bars. They all just want their time in the public square and are just trying to get their word out. Now instead of monopolizing frequencies, they can converse on social media. So who knows, it may be safe to let the unwashed masses onto radio with just a tech license that covers everything. This isn't as funny as it may sound, I've often thought that ham radio was (I'm guessing here) great for people that have problems speaking socially. It's easy to break off a conversation, and no face to face strong emotions with a radio.

Joel

W5lz

"... I've often thought that ham radio was (I'm guessing here) great for people that have problems speaking socially. It's easy to break off a conversation, and no face to face strong emotions with a radio."
I guess it just depends on the person. There's nothing that I've said on the radio (or on these forum) that I wouldn't say facing some one. There are a couple of things that I would say to some one's face that I won't say here, or on the air. I think that's normal, at least for me. I don't care for 'public speaking' much, I'd rather listen. If there's something that 'needs' saying I'm not too bashful about doing it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Perhaps creating a new Topic named something like "Is Ham Radio Doomed?"
If someone wants to start a new thread discussing the future of amateur radio, in general, they are free to do so. But, it seems that the posters in this thread no longer want to discuss the ARRL's proposal regarding Technician "enhancement", so, we're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.