FCC makes rule change for DMR/TRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Modes FXD and FXE (TDMA voice and data) as well as F7E (I'm not sure what that mode is for) have been added to the allowed modes list.

Last edited:

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I'm honestly not sure. It sounds familiar. I googled it but didn't find anything. Didn't look to hard either.

saberthree

not to sound like a jackass, but does this include P25? not that it ever stopped anyone from setting up repeaters for it

jfalcon

moonlights as KL7EET when radioactive.
not to sound like a jackass, but does this include P25? not that it ever stopped anyone from setting up repeaters for it

It should apply to any FM or PM transmission. Therefore, 4FSK/C4FM/CQPSK which different P25 implementations use should be legit. This also opens the door for GSM-isque tech to roll in as early implementations of GSM used TDMA and different forms of PSK.

slimbob

At first glance, I'm not seeing where they spell that out one way or another, at least in the published version of the rules.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
MotoTRBO/DMR is TDMA. The emission designators they refer to (2 of them anyway) are for TDMA

traffic27fl

From the FCC Docket 09-209 Rule Making and Order concerning the emission designator issue:

"An emission designator describes an emission’s characteristics. A minimum of three symbols is used to describe
the basic characteristics of the radio emission. See 47 C.F.R. § 2.201. The first symbol designates the type of
modulation. For example, F is used for frequency modulation. The second symbol designates the nature of the
signal modulating the main carrier. For example, 7 is used for two or more channels containing quantized or digital
information. The third symbol designates the type of information to be transmitted. For example, D is used for data
transmission, and E is used for telephony. Where the nature of the signal modulating the main carrier or the type of
information to be transmitted is not specifically listed in Section 2.201, the second or third symbol is X. See 47CFR§ 2.201(c)(7), (d)(9)."

mancow

Database Admin
TRBO has been a great example of social disobedience. Everyone liked it and just used it despite what the FCC had to say. There was no way they were going to force it all off the air so they had to roll with it.

good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.