FCC nabs NJ resident for intentionally jamming FAA's GPS system at Newark Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
My last year working for county government all our work vehicles were equipped with GPS tracking devices. It keeps workers on the straight and narrow. No more trips to the local ice cream stand or stogie shop during work hi hi.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The GPS tracker on my company vehicle is a little box connected to the OBD-II port. I actually like it. I don't screw around with the truck, and it makes it possible to eliminate IRS paper logs for reporting commuting to work miles VS service call miles. Eliminating the paper logs made being tracked totally worth it. My fleet manager is also a human being, and he knows folks stray above the speed limit. We are given a 15 MPH over speed window before any alarm emails are sent.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The GPS tracker on my company vehicle is a little box connected to the OBD-II port. I actually like it. I don't screw around with the truck, and it makes it possible to eliminate IRS paper logs for reporting commuting to work miles VS service call miles. Eliminating the paper logs made being tracked totally worth it. My fleet manager is also a human being, and he knows folks stray above the speed limit. We are given a 15 MPH over speed window before any alarm emails are sent.

Depends a lot on the company.
A local alarm company has been using them for about 10 years. One guy got busted for clocking in as he drove past the office on the highway. Supposed to go in to the shop and they took offense to what he was doing. Seems kind of silly, but there were probably other reasons for what they did.

My brother in law's company uses them. It's mostly driven by their insurance company wanting to make sure that guys driving company vehicles are not doing things that may cause the insurance company to pay out a lot of money.
He is able to track his own guys, but rarely uses it. Usually it's looked at in retrospect when they have good reason to believe a tech isn't doing their job. It's usually used as reinforcement for discipline or termination.
A couple of times they've been used to find stolen vehicles.

I'm fortunate I don't have one on my work vehicle. Wouldn't get me in trouble, but it would probably result in me having to explain to some beancounter why I end up where I'm at. I'm fortunate in that most people at work have no clue I exist or what I do there. Just the way I like it.

But this is all another sign that the FCC has lost control of the crap that is entering our country. Be it cheap Chinese two way radios, GPS jammers or cellular jammers, this stuff shouldn't be entering our ports.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Just do what my old Sergeant did...unplug it so the County couldn’t track him on AVL on midnights....so he could catch some zzzzz’s....because he was going to Paramedic school during the day LOL. To everyone’s amazement, it usually stopped working around 2 am and came back on around 6 and no one could find the problem. Until he was caught on camera doing it and retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.