FCC NPRM MD Docket No. 20-270 changing FCC fee structure, including Amateur Radio. $50 for new licenses and renewals and Vanity License Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I just laminate them cards, odd about not valid if laminated because my d.o.t. Medical card says not valid unless laminated. First year they required putting dot physical on license no laminate but required it. Now you take your
Dot physical its in a peelable laiminate kit.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

twotoejoe

I find it difficult to believe that it costs anything near $50 for printing and mailing a paper copy of the license.

They don't print and mail a license now. It is emailed to you and you have to print it out.

I just got my ticket in July. I would have gladly paid the $50 for 10 years; at 66 now I'll be lucky to be alive in 10 years.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
They don't print and mail a license now. It is emailed to you and you have to print it out.

I just got my ticket in July. I would have gladly paid the $50 for 10 years; at 66 now I'll be lucky to be alive in 10 years.
i took my email from fcc to local library,they downsized mine to the "just rite" size. Charged me a dollar left $5 n thanked the 2 women who were working.

Id bet now be hard to do with this virus,mot everthing is open in our town but the library as of last week

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I go to Office Max or Office Depot to get anything laminated. They will do that for a nominal fee in their copier/fax dept. I have my FCC license on a PVC credit card type thing I got online somewhere a couple of years ago. Better than laminate, IMO

W5lz

It used to be about $6 dollars in the '60s. I figure with inflation/economy/etc, $50 is certainly reasonable. I also figure that this hobby is worth it. If you don't, don't apply for a license. Simple!

k6cpo

It's not so much the younger adult hams that are just starting out in the hobby and have gainful employment that will have serious issues with the new fee, it's the senior hams on fixed incomes that already have the equipment and time to chat that the fee will really hurt and may force them out of the hobby. Also the youth hams that are really needed in the hobby to keep it alive that probably can pay the current 14 or 15 for the exam but not the new $50. This additional fee will scare them off quickly and will most likely never look back after finding other things to do with their time.

I look at it this way: I'm an Extra with a vanity call so the only time this would affect me is when I renew. If it goes into effect before December of 2021 (my next renewal) I'll pay it because it's possible it will be my last renewal. I'll be 85 the next time my renewal rolls around in 2031 (if I live that long.)

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Considering the VE's do the work and put the entry in via computer, there's very little the FCC actually does.

And that's what sticks in my craw. Unlike other services, the FCC delegated testing and applications to the VECs. Now, they want to charge us $50, while nearly all the actual work is done by VE's and submitted to the FCC electronically.

ts1000

I would oppose even 1$ fee for Amateur License.
My reasoning is the following:

This license is special. Federal government *incentivizes* citizens to get this license. Adding any non-zero fee sends a message that Federal Government no longer looks at the citizens obtaining this license, with encouragement.

Having citizens, trained communication in operations, especially in the time of natural disasters and war time -- has always being viewed as a strategic advantage.

For example,
"...
The Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) is an emergency radio service authorized in Part 97.407 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations governing amateur radio in the United States.[1]
.."

Federal legislation through the years, always had in mind, incentivizing the citizens to study, take exams and acquire the Amateur radio license.
In 1964, the FCC and the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) developed a program known as "Incentive Licensing
Amateur radio licensing in the United States - Wikipedia

To summarize
This license is expressly non-commercial, requires a non-trivial examination, and historically the Government encouraged folks to study to get it, for the purposes of emergency response and civil defense.
Which is why it should not have a fee.

Certainly, a vanity call signs can have fees.
Also a small correction: GMRS license today is 70$ per 10 years, not 85 per 5 years.

As far as the fees, other personal radio services like GMRS have much higher fees- $85 for a 5 year license versus $50 for a 10 year isn't unreasonable when one puts it in perspective, and that fee has been in place for years.

russbrill

It used to be about $6 dollars in the '60s. I figure with inflation/economy/etc, $50 is certainly reasonable. I also figure that this hobby is worth it. If you don't, don't apply for a license. Simple!

I don't have a problem with the $50 fee, it's reasonable...

Chronic

Me thinks a side "benefit" from these fees could be to clean out some of these jokers that like to ride the fence of FCC rules. I'm sure that in the next 10 years, I can scrape the $50 to renew, so I'm staying in if/when this fee does apply.

Those people wont pay to renew and will just become pirates . Just think how bad there antics will be when there is no threat of losing there license

Status
Not open for further replies.