FCC posts "Help Wanted" for white spaces database managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhex

Premium Subscriber
Here is something that I noticed on the Ars Technica website:

"In another significant leap forward in the Federal Communications Commission's campaign to get unlicensed broadband, or "white space" devices, into the market, the FCC says that it is now accepting proposals from companies that want to run the databases that will prevent these gadgets from interfering with other broadcast services."

Here is the original link for those interested:
FCC posts "Help Wanted" for white spaces database managers

mrhex

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't want to blow the significance out of proportion, but this may open up some options for folks that are out in rural areas. The re-allocation of some TV frequencies has caused some stink in certain circles. If they can manage to pull off the engineering hurdles required to make "White-Fi" play nicely with other stuff then that is one more option available for folks.

The fight amongst certain tech companies vs. TV broadcasters is somewhat reminiscent of the squabble between Ham operators & industry groups pushing broadband over power lines. I don't know if that technology ever got off the ground yet. However, I do remember reading some postings from some peeved Hams about the 'potential' interference that it could cause with their equipment.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
I believe the "databases" talks to the device's in GPS language....

At lest this won't be run by a bureaucracy full of toilet paper. Perhaps a prospective company could utilize the device's tracking feature to target ads. :twisted:

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And if you don't want to work for that federal agency, here is another one who is hiring:

https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunities/clandestine/view-jobs.html

Somehow I don't think it will be like the movie with Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase!
The CIA turns away more people than the military! I tried to get into their program in High School (Can't remember the name of the program) and couldn't get in. My cousin, who was a high ranking Naval Officer and had a higher security clearance than the president couldn't even get in. I have yet to actually hear of ANYONE getting past the CIA entrance processing. Most everyone at that agency is a relative of a Government big wig.

N0IU

My cousin, who was a high ranking Naval Officer and had a higher security clearance than the president couldn't even get in.
I am calling a BOGUS! on this one! While I firmly believe that there are government agencies that the president may or may not know about, if your cousin worked for one of those agencies, I just gotta say that there is probably a zero chance that they would tell anyone with a lesser security clearance about it.

Last edited:

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am calling a BOGUS! on this one! While I firmly believe that there are government agencies that the president may or may not know about, if your cousin worked for one of those agencies, I just gotta say that there is probably a zero chance that they would tell anyone with a lesser security clearance about it.
My cousin worked for the Department of The Navy. What part don't you understand?
She was a Naval Officer, just below Admiral. She applied to the CIA and couldn't get in.
I didn't say she ever worked for the CIA. I said she APPLIED. She worked in Intelligence and that's all she could ever tell any of us.

She couldn't say what her specific job was, or where she traveled in the world or anything specific. No one in the family knows anything about what her work entailed. Just that she was working in Intelligence. She had a squeaky clean work record and never had any reprimands, never was in trouble, never received a poor work rating or anything. She has a Master's degree with honors, and she still wasn't good enough to continue processing for the CIA.

She also applied to the Secret Service and got turned down. She told me "if I was a man I bet I'd have gotten in"

As a matter of policy, Naval (or any military officer) has a higher clearance than the president from what I've been informed. I have been told that the President only has a certain level of clearance and that there are many people beyond the president who know more than the president will ever know in his lifetime.

I'm not claiming that I'm right or anything, just telling you what I was told.

N0IU

I do not doubt for a moment that you have a cousin who is (or was) an office in the Navy who was rejected by the CIA.

What I am disputing is your statement about there being MANY people who have a higher security clearance than the president. In theory anyway, it is the president's job to establish goals and objectives for the military. It is not necessarily his job to micromanage them or to determine exactly how those objectives are to be met. That is the job of people like Stanley McChrystal and David Petraeus to figure out. There is no doubt the president has advisors and a handful of the highest ranking officers who have some degree of latitude in determining how those objectives will be met without informing him. I am sure this is primarily for the president's safety, not because we have some rogue army that can do whatever it wants without the knowledge of the Commander in Chief.

It is not uncommon for enlisted personnel to keep their mission or exact location on a "need to know" basis which means keeping it from their family. This is for their own safety and safety of their family and most of all, the integrity of the mission. If the details of the mission were discovered by the enemy, it could result in the failure of that mission. This does not mean that they are on some super-secret covert intelligence gathering mission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.