FCC Rule changes-Narrow band FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbhtxk

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the FCC rule changes concerning narrow band FM/digital integration for Public Safety and Private Business operations? I have been told by a radio system salesman that our old VHF system (business VHF) will be obsolete next year due to FCC rule changes mandating narrowband equipment only. Any help would be appreciated...

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While slanted towards public safety, the above link does have good info.

Snipped from that link...

What This Means To Users

All existing Part 90 radio systems operating on frequencies between 150-512 MHz have eight years to convert those systems either to 12.5 kHz bandwidth or to a technology that provides one voice path per 12.5 kHz of bandwidth or provides a data rate of 4800 bps/6.25 kHz.

12.5 kHz Conversion Deadline for Existing VHF/UHF Systems

* Industrial/Business Pool licensees conversion deadline remains January 1, 2013
* Public Safety Pool licensees conversion deadline has been changed to January 1, 2013
* After this date, all systems must have converted either to 12.5 kHz bandwidth or to a technology that provides one voice channel per 12.5 kHz or operates at a data rate 4800 bps per 6.25 kHz of bandwidth.

Basic Questions & Answers

Q - Are we forced to move to 800 MHz?
A - No. Narrowbanding does not require moving to another frequency band.

Q - Will we have to buy new radios?
A - Depends. Most radios purchased in the last 6-8 years are already narrowband capable. They only need to be re-tuned.

Q – Will we need to change frequencies?
A – No. You merely reduce the bandwidth of the channel(s) you are now using.

Q – Will that reduce our coverage?
A – Little if any. You may have to survey your system and area of operation. Only a thorough analysis of your coverage requirements can tell for sure.

Q – Will we have to convert to digital?
A– No. However, many agencies are using this opportunity to upgrade to digital technology. Most digital radios are dual mode capable and can operate in wide band analog as well as narrowband analog and digital. Digital is also more immune from adjacent channel interference along with features unavailable in analog.

DickH

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the FCC rule changes concerning narrow band FM/digital integration for Public Safety and Private Business operations? I have been told by a radio system salesman that our old VHF system (business VHF) will be obsolete next year due to FCC rule changes mandating narrowband equipment only. Any help would be appreciated...

Remember, those guys are in business to MAKE MONEY. They don't give a damn about helping you run your radio system efficiently or economically. Don't listen to them. Do your own research, then bust their stones with the real facts.

rbhtxk

Info

Thanks for the great responses. There is a lot of dis-information out there. We do know that we need to 'upgrade' our field radio systems because it no longer serves our needs due to the growth of our operations. We just need to quote the proper justifications to do so. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.