FD Tone Notify - New Tone Detection Software Released

kevind963

Feed Provider
Hello everyone,

I have just released a new Open Source project FD Tone Notify. Since Two Tone Detect vanished mid last year and many of its features stopped working I wanted to create an alternative from scratch using modern technology. I set out to design an application that was modular and easily extensible with custom notifications. I ultimately decided to make the core software free and open source so the community can have confidence in its ongoing availability and have a say in the development. With that said a paid extended support plan is available and donations via Patreon would be very much appreciated. In the future I plan to develop hosted audio functionality that will be a paid component.

FD Tone Notify has been tested over the past several weeks and released with binaries for Windows, Linux, and for the Raspberry Pi (ARMv7). In the near future Raspberry Pi starter kits will be available with the software pre-loaded with a basic configuration.

You can read more about the Launch Notes on the blog.

Project Website: FD Tone Notify – Dispatch Tone Notification Software for Fire Departments and Enthusiasts
GitHub: kjdElectronics/fd-tone-notify
Release Page: Releases · kjdElectronics/fd-tone-notify

Documentation
License

Last edited by a moderator:

LD723

I tried installing but I get this error,
warning : Cannot access secrets file at config/secrets.json. Only using secrets from env Vars

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Will this be capable of having several profiles active at once, with each profile monitoring a specific tone pair and sending out SMS or email notifications to a different address?

I'm thinking of an agency which uses two sets of tones, one for fire and one for EMS.

kevind963

Feed Provider
I tried installing but I get this error,
warning : Cannot access secrets file at config/secrets.json. Only using secrets from env Vars
This is just a warning although for most notifications (email or pushbullet) you will need at least one secret configured. You need to rename config/secrets.template.json to config/secrets.json and enter in your values. The secrets setup is documented near the end.

kevind963

Feed Provider
Will this be capable of having several profiles active at once, with each profile monitoring a specific tone pair and sending out SMS or email notifications to a different address?

I'm thinking of an agency which uses two sets of tones, one for fire and one for EMS.
Yes absolutely. The default example config has two test departments configured. It is also possible to run multiple instances with different config files for use with multiple audio inputs.

Example: kjdElectronics/fd-tone-notify

kevind963

Feed Provider
Nice, 100% going to try this out. I run this RenfrewCountyScanner (@RenfrewCntyScan) / Twitter and our county is the size of some states and I can pick up all the pages on one channel.
Heh. Can you make this decode SAME data from weather radio.

Also any plans to support an SDR as an input source? :p
SAME data is digitally encoded so this would not be able to detect that. It would absolutely be able to detect the 1050Hz alert tone however.

SDR is not really an "input" source as it's a type of radio. That said I run the Windham NH feed using 2x RTL-SDR dongles, DSD+ and VB Audio cable. As long as your SDR software has the capability to output to an audio device you can use software like VB Audio Cable to virtually "loopback" that output into an audio input and consume it however you like. Once you have the SDR output as an audio input you can easily direct that into FD Tone Notify.

cobraultra

Feed Provider
So I was just messing around a cleaned up the JSON Default file to make it easier to read and configure.

Attachments

• default.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 118

cobraultra

Feed Provider
Yeah I had noticed this. I'll be releasing an update soon that creates the file in a formatted way. I consider this a bug
Good Stuff... Like what you have done so far... I have 3 instances of TTD running and im looking at migrating my configs now over to yours... New windows 10 thin client... 3 USB sound cards... I'll keep you posted... using powershell to import all the data into a database for notifications and storage...

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I plan to start looking at this as well once I get some time away from work. Make it work with my python twitter script and discord webhooks and ftping the audio files to my webserver.

dovi5988

We just hired someone devs to re-write tone-detect in python as tone detect seems to be no longer supported. It seems we are trying to support the same features (cloud storage of calls etc.). What you have here looks promising and would save us a lot of time.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
We just hired someone devs to re-write tone-detect in python as tone detect seems to be no longer supported. It seems we are trying to support the same features (cloud storage of calls etc.). What you have here looks promising and would save us a lot of time.
TTD is still supported but he got bought so now it's a paid app, there is a limited free version but something new would be nice.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I noticed when I started in tone detection mode that it says Apr-01-2021 21:19:34 info : Initializing Generic Tone Detector for frequencies between 300Hz and 4000Hz with tolerance ±1

I have some tones in a lower part of the 300Hz range but it seems to have a hard time picking them up is it because the lower limit is 300Hz?

KN4GRO

Hello all! I have a question... I am trying to get this running on Linux (ubuntu 20.04) but I am so far out of my league here that I'm not even sure where to start.

I managed to get op25 (boatbod) running with 4 rtl_sdr's and multi_rx.py.. This was with a lot of help from the Radio Reference forums and boatbod.

Once I had that running smoothly I then created several null-sinks using pactl and mapped each one of the playbacks from op25 directly over to 4 corresponding input devices which I named north, central, west and south... These also take on index values like index: 1, index: 2, etc..

I have been mulling over the documentation for FD Tone Notify and it seems that as long as I can get the configuration file pointed to the correct "inputDevice" then I should be able to monitor that sound using FD Tone Notify.. I plan on running four separate instances with 4 separate config files..

My question is, how do I point to the specific "input" on a particular hardware device? There are 4 in my case, one for each of the sdr's...

Looking forward to your responses...