FDNY Dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy404ns

Sorry this is such a basic question. I just started monitoring FDNY from Fairfield, CT. When a call goes out, how do the units get dispatched? I hear dispatch calling different things (eg, CO detector activation, oven fire,...etc), but I never hear them dispatching specific units. How do they dispatch the actual units and is there any way for us, as listeners, to know what units are going to the call?
Also, why is it that the FD dispatch channels sometimes stay open for long periods of time with just low volume static being transmitted?
And one more, does anyone know the frequencies for NYPD ESU? I couldnt find them in the database.
Thanks, Andy

kc4wwu

NYFD Dispatching

As far as Dispatching the units, I was told it is mainly done by MDT's if they are out of the station, and Data terminals at the station.

NYFD operates their repeaters differently then most other Fire Dept's. The dispatcher turns off the repeat function ntil a unit actually calls them. They can hear the input to the repeater on the local speaker at the console. When they get a call to them, the dispatcher turns on the repeater, they talk to whoever they need to, then turn off the repeater. Sometimes they shut it down right away, sometimes the leave it up for a while. Its their call. Stops alot of the "unidentified" kerchunking, thats for sure. Most of the talking is done on fireground channels...

Pete
KC4WWU

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
FDNY's dispatch system operates like no other fire departments around the county. Frank's website (http://www.fdnewyork.com/aa.asp) has a very good description of how the system works. May be he'll post here too if you are lucky :)

If I remember correctly, the telegraph signal is send to the firehouse first, then in about a minute later the call is annouonced over radio twice. If they are not in the house, units will acknowledge either using their MDT or radio.

FDNY Manhattan dispatch stay open carrier has to do with the way the console and repeater system being setup. Few years ago all dispatch channels have that distinctive characteristic, now I believe only Manhattan is the one that still has that open carrier "feature"

NYPD SOD operates on 470.8375 PL136.5

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The other broughs also can do this at times, but yes Manhattan tends to stay open the most.

They call the repeaters "mixers" and are usually left in the normal mode. They will turn them off for sensitive information coming in from the field.

Fireground comms are done UHF simplex for the most part.

MDT's and stationhouse computers are the primary means. They reason why you hear the voice dispatching is due to some obscure FCC clause (forget which rule it is). I know we ran into this 7 years ago for a paid dept that was notfied by landland for dispatches. They had to have their own tone out after it was brought up.

FrankRaffa

When you hear the open carrier (mixer on) for no reason it's usually because someone missed hitting the button to turn it off or the button is wearing out. As you can imagine it's the most used button on the Centracom II console.

The Queens and Bronx COs are being renovated and are using newer consoles. This is why you do not hear the mixer on unless someone is talking. For some reason known only to Motorola they were unable or unwilling to make it work like it has been all along. (The fact that they're being paid not withstanding.) Brooklyn, Manhattan and SI are still using the old consoles.

I took a sneak peek at the new base units being installed in the offices. They're Quantors (Micors are currently in use) and are still on VHF.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Quantars are the current in service repeaters/base stations out from Motorola. Don't be surprised as these will disappear soon from what I am told. They replaced the MSF5000's which replaced the Micors. The Micors were some of the best built base stations/repeaters ever made, but replacement parts are becoming extremely hard to aquire. Their long life span is a testament to the quaility that use to go into two-way, especially in service such as FDNY.

The Centracom II consoles are also diehard beats as well. I loved those, but again, they have migrated to the computer based consoles such as the Centracom Gold Elite, and now the MCC5500 which is most likely what your going to get. The MIP5500 is a VoIP based console, so who knows if you will get that. Its a good learning curve, but not too hard.

As for the open radio, I would suspect a bad relay if DC remoted, or BIM card on its way out. But since it doesn't interfear with operations, I wouldn't place a hugh priorty on it either.

CW1NY3478

Uhf??

Why is the FDNY installing VHF consoles if they plan on moving the primary dispatch to UHF??

i would think it was a wate of cash on the part of the city of ny part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrankRaffa

CW1NY3478 said:
Why is the FDNY installing VHF consoles if they plan on moving the primary dispatch to UHF?? i would think it was a wate of cash on the part of the city of ny part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no answer. (At least, not one that I can admit publicly or without laughing myself silly.)

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Because its cheaper to install 5 or 6 base stations in upgrading now, instead of buying a plethra of new radios. There are things in the works, so why buy equipment in bulk only to throw it out in a few years?

Beside, consoles are not band specific, just the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.