FDNY-EMS unit codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

amute

I'm relatively new to Emergency radio communication, and I listen to the EMS frequency a lot. Thing is, I'm very confused, and I've searched and searched, about this particular usage of code.

For example, in Staten Island, I heard something like "22 Henry" or "95 Adam", "22 X-Ray"

It's typically two numbers followed by a letter.

What is this?

amute

What's a Hospitals relevance to the FDNY battalion?

Like SIUH north ambulances seem to go across battalions.

Danny37

To be honest my knowledge on SI is very limited, they're other members on this forum who are members of the FDNY who can chime in. Sorry.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
What's a Hospitals relevance to the FDNY battalion?

Like SIUH north ambulances seem to go across battalions.

The hospital has no relevance to the Batt. The SIUH ambulances are units that run out of the hospital and are dispatched by the FDNY/EMS dispatchers to 911 calls. The unit numbers are assigned to where the ambulance usually sits when not on a call,or the batt. they are assigned to work in. Ex: in the bronx I worked 27H out of Batt. 19 but my area was in the 27 Batt. area of Riverdale. The "H" units and the "Z" units are ALS/BLS Haz-Tac units and the "R" (Rescue) units in EMS are ALS Haz-Tac Rescue units that do a number of different functions. I hope this helps you understand it better.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
Haz-Tac

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
They list units on the charts but the updated ones don't have times or CSL
Just station and unit

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
EMS Unit Ids

The history of EMS unit IDs is as follows.
The first number correspondence to the Battalion Area, which for the most part correspond to the Fire Department Battalion numbers.
The second number corresponds to the physical area the unit primarily responds to .
The Letter corresponds to the type of unit. A or alpha thru N-nora are Basic Life support units.
O-oscar thru Z-Zebra are paramedic Units.
The exception are the H-Henry and the Z-Zebra which are Haztac BLS and ALS units
The R-Rescue which are Rescue Paramedic Units.

The last numbers is the tour. 3 Tours for FDNY units, hospital units can have 3 tours or 2 depending on whether they are 8hr or 12hr units.

Staten Island is divided primarily into 3 Fire Battalion Areas the 21, 22 and 23 Battalions.

So 22H2 means its a Haztac BLS unit assigned to the 22 Battalion working the Day shift.
22Z1 means its a haztac Paramedic unit assigned to the 22 Battalion working the midnight shift
23R3 means its a Rescue Paramedic unit assigned to the 23 Battalion working the eve shift.
21A1 means its a BLS unit covering the 21 Battalion working the midnight shift.

Keep in mind that these units overlap each other. When needed they respond all over the place.

Special numbers are used for special events units, or extra units.
So you may hear a 65D2 unit which is a BLS unit , running extra or in lieu of another unit, covering Staten Island.

Staten Island Hospital runs 2 Paramedic Units and 3 BLS (EMT) Units 21W and 23W Paramedic units and 21A, 23B and 23J EMT units.
RUMC runs 2 Medic Trucks, 21X and 22X plus 21B, 21C, 22D and 22B EMT units. these employees are not part of the Fire Department and hired by their respective hospitals. Some are fulltimers some are part timers.

The Fire Department runs
2 Medic units 1 regular medic unit and 1 haztac unit from 1 station and 1 haztac EMT unit plus 3 regular BLS units covering the middle of the island
22Z, 22V, 23D, 22H, 22C

The Rossville station runs 23V, 23R 23H, 23A and 23C covering the south-west shore of Staten Island.

All Fire Department EMS ambulances are run by Fire Department EMTs or Paramedics which are fulltime city employees.

Some of these units do not run the midnight shift. Hope this helps.

George

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
RUMC Units

21X-Silver Lake Area
22X Clove Lake Area
21B Ft Wadsworth Area
21C-New Brighton Area
22B West Brighton Area
22D Bulls Head Area

FDNY Station 22 Units

22Z-Bulls Head Area
22H-Castleton Corner/Westerleigh Area
22C-Mariner Harbor Area
23D-Oakwood Area
23V-Todt Hill Area

SIUH Units

21W-Grassmere Area
23B-New Dorp Area
21A-South Beach Area
23J-Princes Bay Area
23W-Great Kills Area

FDNY Sta 23 Units

23H-Eltingville Area
23V-Eltingville Area
23A-Rossville Area
23C-Heartland Village Area
23R-Overlapping Hugenot-Amboy Rd Area.

Like I said, special events units are often deployed either in lieu or in addition to the main units.

Each borough is still pretty much divided from south through north and labeled according to the borough letter.

M-Manhatan M-1 manhattan south, through M-9
S-Staten Island S-1 through S-3
K-Brooklyn K1 brooklyn south thru k7 brooklyn north
B-bronx
Q-queens.

Oh forgot the Volunteer Units.

95A is Volunteer Heart Volunteer Ambulance and 95B is North Shore Rescue Squad Volunteers.

George

Last edited:

Danny37

RUMC Units

21X-Silver Lake Area
22X Clove Lake Area
21B Ft Wadsworth Area
21C-New Brighton Area
22B West Brighton Area
22D Bulls Head Area

FDNY Station 22 Units

22Z-Bulls Head Area
22H-Castleton Corner/Westerleigh Area
22C-Mariner Harbor Area
23D-Oakwood Area
23V-Todt Hill Area

SIUH Units

21W-Grassmere Area
23B-New Dorp Area
21A-South Beach Area
23J-Princes Bay Area
23W-Great Kills Area

FDNY Sta 23 Units

23H-Eltingville Area
23V-Eltingville Area
23A-Rossville Area
23C-Heartland Village Area
23R-Overlapping Hugenot-Amboy Rd Area.

Like I said, special events units are often deployed either in lieu or in addition to the main units.

Each borough is still pretty much divided from south through north and labeled according to the borough letter.

M-Manhatan M-1 manhattan south, through M-9
S-Staten Island S-1 through S-3
K-Brooklyn K1 brooklyn south thru k7 brooklyn north
B-bronx
Q-queens.

Oh forgot the Volunteer Units.

95A is Volunteer Heart Volunteer Ambulance and 95B is North Shore Rescue Squad Volunteers.

George

The op stated that he heard 95A on SI, how is this possible? I thought the fdny took radio privileges away from the Volly units and are issued a FDNY Mars radio as well as a remsco. I remember when I Volly we can either call MARS via cell or through the MARS Motorola xts radio they issue the Volly units.

Any unit that starts with 9 in EMS is a Volly unit, then the second number is the district. 1-Manhattan, 2-bronx, 3-brooklyn, 4-queens, 5-SI.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
What he probably heard was an EMS unit giving a 10-94 to 95A or taking a 10-87 by95A.
Meaning that the Volly heart unit was handling the call.

While the Volly units no longer have radios issued by EMS they still do respond and do take calls.
So he didn't hear 95A directly.
I know cause I work for FD as a medic and occasionally volunteer for NSRS.

George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.