FDNY fireground comms on VHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

I was randomly scanning tonight and I picked up FDNY fireground traffic from a fire about 1 mile away from me on their old VHF frequency 153.8300 with a PL of 151.4. It definitely sounded simplex since I didn’t hear a repeater hangtime after the transmissions.

I listened on the usual UHF frequency and couldn’t pick anything up. Is there a unit onscene rebroadcasting on VHF? Anyone know what’s the purpose of the rebroadcast?

Danny37

Sounds like you heard a battalion vehicle repeater. Was the fire the 10-77 (high rise residential) in the 12th Battalion this morning?
No, I believe it was the fire in the 46 battalion. I’m located in Queens.

I didn’t know the VHF frequency was still active

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Let's get this (back) into the database once we confirm the exact usage. If that frequency is used by battalion VRS, is the PL always 151.4?

Danny37

Let's get this (back) into the database once we confirm the exact usage. If that frequency is used by battalion VRS, is the PL always 151.4?

Not sure if it’s always 151.4, but I’ll keep monitoring. I recorded a video, I’ll post it later when I get home.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
The new APX's have the old VHF dispatch and handitalkie channels in them but nothing for the VRS. Only a handful of Battalions have the VRS system installed in them but none have it by me. I know the Battalions that do have it have a dedicated VHF portable for use with the VRS but I can't confirm the frequency or PL they are using.

coolrich55

Couple years ago I heard that same frequency being used at an incident near west 38 street in the city. It definitely was fire ground comms at that time.

CqDx

I thought that frequency is the output of the in-building auxiliary repeater, it is low power but I hear it fairly regularly and only active when there are high-rise building operations.

Not sure if it is actively being used by FDNY during fireground operations or just something of legacy.

I suspect some background about this system can be found at the following website:

Danny37

Had several all-hands alarms within a 1-2 mile radius of me and haven’t heard any activity on the 153mhz frequency. I’ll post any updates if I come across any new traffic.

Danny37

Also, i know some of you work for FD so maybe you can let someone know. Citywide 2 has a continuous open-carrier since last night. No voice or tone traffic coming through.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I was randomly scanning tonight and I picked up FDNY fireground traffic from a fire about 1 mile away from me on their old VHF frequency 153.8300 with a PL of 151.4. It definitely sounded simplex since I didn’t hear a repeater hangtime after the transmissions.

I listened on the usual UHF frequency and couldn’t pick anything up. Is there a unit onscene rebroadcasting on VHF? Anyone know what’s the purpose of the rebroadcast?

Nice capture Danny. No question FDNY FG. For me tell tale is DTMF burst. Same as heard on DOITT TRS.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The burst is not DTMF, but is TPS signaling. It's a form of P25 signaling over analog, and sounds more like MDC than DTMF.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
The burst is not DTMF, but is TPS signaling. It's a form of P25 signaling over analog, and sounds more like MDC than DTMF.
Futurecom P25 Digital Vehicular Repeater (DVR) I suspect.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Futurecom P25 Digital Vehicular Repeater (DVR) I suspect.
The burst originates from each fireground HT, not a DVRS. It is a Motorola feature called TPS (Tactical Public Signaling) that allows P25 signaling over an analog channel, in order to have a much greater range of UIDs than MDC-1200 would allow. It works in conjunction with the Fireground Accountability software.

Status
Not open for further replies.