• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FDNY Flashcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMICHAEL_124

Premium Subscriber
Does any one know what flashcode the fdny uses in their radios ?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
For what purpose do you need to know this information?

Man, what a pointed question.. what the hell harm can it do?

It's not like knowing the flashcode suddenly gives you access to the Commissioner's office or nuclear launch authorization.. just tells you what features a radio has.

Could be construed to be a very relevant question to a city taxpayer, since all those feature options are mucho dinero per item.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
Man, what a pointed question.. what the hell harm can it do?

It's not like knowing the flashcode suddenly gives you access to the Commissioner's office or nuclear launch authorization.. just tells you what features a radio has.

Could be construed to be a very relevant question to a city taxpayer, since all those feature options are mucho dinero per item.

And the fact that he registered in 2005, and this is his first post? Hmmmmm...

com501

If you are authorized to have that info, you can get it from the system administrator. We all know what you are attempting, so don't be coy. The only reason to have the flashcode is to configure a radio using illegal software. The 'taxpayer' doesn't get to know what options are in a specific radio (as there are several different option sets for FDNY), and since the radios are a package MR order, the cost breakdown is only shown on the invoice anyway. It is nigh impossible to figure out what a specific MR order radio costs to the department unless you are in the order screen.

bharvey2

If you are authorized to have that info, you can get it from the system administrator. We all know what you are attempting, so don't be coy. The only reason to have the flashcode is to configure a radio using illegal software. The 'taxpayer' doesn't get to know what options are in a specific radio (as there are several different option sets for FDNY), and since the radios are a package MR order, the cost breakdown is only shown on the invoice anyway. It is nigh impossible to figure out what a specific MR order radio costs to the department unless you are in the order screen.

How is having this information bad or how can it be used for nefarious purposes? As I understand flashcodes (maybe I'm wrong, I don't work with particularly high end radios) it provides information about the features of a radio such as P25 capability, maybe encryption capability, etc.

Mind you, I'm not defending his reason or right to have this information, just trying to get a better understanding of the purposes of a flashcode and what it can do. I'm envisioning it's something akin to firmware?

com501

If you have the correct flashcode, you can A) sell a fake radio on eBay with 'real FDNY flashcode', and/or B) clone your own illegit radio onto the system. If one needs that info, it's a simple matter of reading an authorized radio or asking the sysadmin. Or, you can do like a lot of people and just make something up for your radio....

jbella

Premium Subscriber
Flashcode information does not give you information on "accessing" a UHF simulcast system. Nor does it give you information on accessing a trunked system.

A Flashcode denotes what features a radio has. It does not denote any programming parameters.

Get off your horse.

SCPD

QRT
Funny part is there is many "fdny flashcode" fleabay sales and they aren't close to a fdny flashcode. So I doubt that would be a reason he wants it.

Google answers many questions such as this as well as hundreds if not more pictures showing the flashcode.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Not singling anyone out, but enough with the RRRP (Radio Reference Radio Police) stuff.

Answer the question or move on.

com501

Of course, Kevin, but since the OP didn't specify what radio type, the answer is moot.

bharvey2

Hopefully I won't get accused of hijacking this thread but is flashcode something that is loaded in to a radio? If so, how does knowing which one is used of any benefit? I might know which version of firmware one of my radios uses but without a valid, working copy of it, I can't do any illegal anything. If you can point me in the right direction, I'll do my own studying. As I've mentioned, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it. I've worked a bit with some older LTR systems but not with some of the larger, newer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.