FDNY questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

1. Anyone know why some members carry 2 radios on a call? I'm assuming they're listening to 2 different frequencies but anyone know what 2 frequencies?

2. The guys who are not in turnout gear (usually wearing sweaters and jackets) what's their role on a fire scene?

3. Does the rubber bands wrapped around the radio leather case mean anything or have a purpose?

4. Is there a film crew who is authorized to film fire calls? I usually see a guy walking around filming everything, I'm certain he's employed by the FDNY since he's has a department radio and clothing.

5. Besides the first 4 channels on Zone A Tac, is there any other fireground frequency used during a call besides dispatch and TAC/CMD 1-4?

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
1: One radio is used for fireground communications, while the other radio is most likely used for the 800MHz or UHF DOitt TRS

2: Most likely they are the “Chaffeur” AKA the driver who gets the water flowing and monitors the radio.

3: I don’t THINK so. I believe it just signifies who’s is who’s portable and strap.

4: the FDNY does have a media unit who goes to scenes to take photos, but a lot of whackers in the city have department jackets and walk all over the scene taking photos

Danny37

1: One radio is used for fireground communications, while the other radio is most likely used for the 800MHz or UHF DOitt TRS

2: Most likely they are the “Chaffeur” AKA the driver who gets the water flowing and monitors the radio.

3: I don’t THINK so. I believe it just signifies who’s is who’s portable and strap.

4: the FDNY does have a media unit who goes to scenes to take photos, but a lot of whackers in the city have department jackets and walk all over the scene taking photos

Do you know if the new portables have the dispatch frequencies programmed in or are they still using the old radio layout from the xts3500? I know the mobile radio in the truck is for dispatch while the xts3500s were only programmed for fireground, UTacs and interops in the old layout.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
3: I use different colored bands or shrink wrap on the antenna to show what band the radio is, or maybe the case is too loose for the radio. For who's radio is who, my dept uses brass tags with IDs based on the seating in the cab.

4: Depends some of the BDA or DAS systems in buidings have specific channels.

Matted33

2: could be the chauffur, Chiefs Aide, or any other member who will not enter the fire building.

3: I think the colored bands on the radio case indicates the company the radio belongs to. They use different 3 color combinations to mark radios and other tool. EG- Engine 123 may use red white and blue while Ladder 456 makers their equipment with orange blue and yellow.

4: The FDNY does have a media unit that does respond to major incidents, but for the most part, fire scenes are very open and access isn't very restricted.

scanfan22

Hey guys. I was talking to a friend and according to the new FCC rules, all ground fire frequencies eventually have to be repeated. How is FDY going to fulfill this requirement? Someone may have already spoken here about this but I am new to this particular area in the forum. Thanks and have a great weekend.

12dbsinad

Hey guys. I was talking to a friend and according to the new FCC rules, all ground fire frequencies eventually have to be repeated. How is FDY going to fulfill this requirement? Someone may have already spoken here about this but I am new to this particular area in the forum. Thanks and have a great weekend.
That is false. There is no such ruling by the FCC. Simplex is actually a preferred method of fireground communications.

scanfan22

I checked in with my friend again and he says the following:
Simplex can be tied to a repeater. The agencies around where my friend lives in Iowa are on such repeaters.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I checked in with my friend again and he says the following:
Simplex can be tied to a repeater. The agencies around where my friend lives in Iowa are on such repeaters.
Yes, there are several ways to do that, but regardless there is no such FCC requirement, nor have they proposed any such change.

ResQguy

Meh

Your friend is one of a few things:
1. Misinformed
2. Misunderstood
3. Making **** up

ansky

Has anyone else noticed that the Queens dispatch channel sounds terrible lately? I get random bursts of static almost every 30 seconds. And when the dispatcher is speaking there is a ton of background noise. I'm wondering if this is widespread or some sort of interference local to my area.

Danny37

Has anyone else noticed that the Queens dispatch channel sounds terrible lately? I get random bursts of static almost every 30 seconds. And when the dispatcher is speaking there is a ton of background noise. I'm wondering if this is widespread or some sort of interference local to my area.

I don't get that static burst you're talking about but I think queens has always come in poor, now it just sounds worse. Brooklyn and Bronx have always sounded crisp imo. I would recommend listening on a portable radio rather then a scanner, on my scanner everything sounds terrible with FDNY but with my vertex and Motorola they sound decent. Only think that sucks is the hang time (open mic but no voice transmissions), it'll lock up when scanning.

Danny37

Is the MDC muted on the dispatchers console? I heard in the background today on a 10-75 in queens on the dispatchers end. Like an echo from someone in the background at dispatchers console listening in on the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.