FDNY radio changes

coolrich55

Haven't been near the city in a while. Hearing some major differences tonight unfortunately. Bronx is coming through the analog frequency with the dispatcher and units digital sounding with no MDC tone at all. Queens dispatch is still analog sounding with units digital. Both Queens dispatch and units have a MDC tone at the beginning of their transmissions. As you can imagine, Bronx especially is sounding pretty horrible. As with NYPD and now FDNY I never thought I'd see the day.....

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
Yup, it seems they have patched the trunked system to the analog or something. The dispatchers are analog, but the mobiles are digital. This has been going on for a few days now...

coolrich55

Yeah actually Bronx dispatch and units are digital. Queens dispatch is still analog with units digital. So I remember 10 or so years ago many comments on this site said there was no way NYPD would go digital and that hell would freeze over before FDNY would. Well here we are. Don't want to be all doom and gloom but could the days of listening to FDNY be numbered like NYPD? It all stinks for the casual listener like myself for over 30 years🙁

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
sounds like the fdny will start using the city 700 mhz trunked system

Will the 700 TRS allow In- building portable coverage throughout NYC for the FDNY? I Dont think so....
800 MHz, not 700 MHz.

As @ff026 stated, they're not operating on the dispatch resources (UHF, 800, VHF, etc.) while in-building, so it's a moot question.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
That also explains why the latest DAS systems at Grand Central Madison only extends coverage of 800 MHz in the tunnels and not the 400 MHz side. Thank you

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So I remember 10 or so years ago many comments on this site said there was no way NYPD would go digital...
It has been repeatedly stated over the years that NYPD was not going to go trunking. Digital was never ruled out by anyone who had any sense of what they were talking about. In fact, it was stated pretty clearly back around 2019 that NYPD was absolutely going to a) change over to P25 on the existing frequencies and b) implement AES. To no surprise, that resulted in some around here claiming and swearing it was never going to happen. Mostly the usual naysayers and those hoping that it wouldn't happen and trying to wish it away. Welp, guess what? Ø

MStep

I still have my doubts, and I've been around the block a few times. This may be very nuanced to some. And it involves a lot of generalities. While FD, PD and EMS all respond to "emergencies", the nature of PD and EMS calls generally involve a situation which has occurred. Like I said, this is very general, and there are many exceptions. FD responds to situations that are occurring and are more likely to escalate.
Hence the need for more consistently dependable communications.

A bank robbery doesn't tend to get bigger; a medical emergency tends to happen, but fires always tend to grow. This was what was taught to us in FDNY dispatch "grooming" in the 1960's and 70's. And it's one of the reasons the FDNY took over EMS--- because EMS had to become more of an emergency service than a patient transport.

This is perhaps one of the reasons that the FDNY tends to be more conservative in moving forward. Members Alarms50 mentions in a post above that the FD was being affected by "atmospheric ducting". Many strange things can occur in the world of communications.

I've done well over 5 decades of PD, EMS and FD listening ( and "a bit" of dispatching [LOL] ), so that I rarely turn that stuff on anymore. FD activities are, in my mind, the least necessary to "keep secret" from the public. And this is not my heart or my head talking, just my gut feeling.

The city is likely looking to standardize their communications networks, and "digital" and "trunked" are financially big business for some commercial enterprises. But there is still enough none-D and none-E stuff coming over the scanner to get a peek at things going on in the hood.

I'm expecting some blowback on my post, but hey, it's just one man's opinion. Happy scanning.

ff026

Feed Provider
I still have my doubts, and I've been around the block a few times. This may be very nuanced to some. And it involves a lot of generalities. While FD, PD and EMS all respond to "emergencies", the nature of PD and EMS calls generally involve a situation which has occurred. Like I said, this is very general, and there are many exceptions. FD responds to situations that are occurring and are more likely to escalate.
Hence the need for more consistently dependable communications.

A bank robbery doesn't tend to get bigger; a medical emergency tends to happen, but fires always tend to grow. This was what was taught to us in FDNY dispatch "grooming" in the 1960's and 70's. And it's one of the reasons the FDNY took over EMS--- because EMS had to become more of an emergency service than a patient transport.

This is perhaps one of the reasons that the FDNY tends to be more conservative in moving forward. Members Alarms50 mentions in a post above that the FD was being affected by "atmospheric ducting". Many strange things can occur in the world of communications.

I've done well over 5 decades of PD, EMS and FD listening ( and "a bit" of dispatching [LOL] ), so that I rarely turn that stuff on anymore. FD activities are, in my mind, the least necessary to "keep secret" from the public. And this is not my heart or my head talking, just my gut feeling.

The city is likely looking to standardize their communications networks, and "digital" and "trunked" are financially big business for some commercial enterprises. But there is still enough none-D and none-E stuff coming over the scanner to get a peek at things going on in the hood.

I'm expecting some blowback on my post, but hey, it's just one man's opinion. Happy scanning.

Nothing is nuanced, ducting was bad for the last week. The trunking system is a back up to the conventional UHF analog dispatch channels.

All these conspiracy theories.

And big business ….. the city is not exactly rolling in it. The MTA is running a huge deficit and every agency in the city must cut 10% of their budget due to the “migrant crisis”.

MStep

Nothing is nuanced, ducting was bad for the last week. The trunking system is a back up to the conventional UHF analog dispatch channels.

All these conspiracy theories.

And big business ….. the city is not exactly rolling in it. The MTA is running a huge deficit and every agency in the city must cut 10% of their budget due to the “migrant crisis”.
I only meant "nuanced" in terms of what I was posting, my words and ideas, and certainly not in terms of what was/is actually happening. I was suggesting that folks might have to read it a couple of times, or read between the lines, to understand my perspective. And no conspiracy theories here-- no gunman in the grassy knoll. Perhaps I should have said "this post may be very nuanced to some"--- nuanced meaning "characterized by subtle shades of meaning or expression". Thanks for pointing that out-- I should have made that clearer. But I think most will get the gist.

Last edited:

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Everyone who thinks that the FDNY (or any other agency in NYC) is going to go high-tech with their radio systems are forgetting one, big important thing: NYC is BROKE.

Anyone who remembers 1975 and the massive layoffs of city employees at that time (which lasted many years) should realize that the financial situation NYC is in today is FAR worse.

In fact, the FDNY has sent out a memo today saying that their heralded "Ceremonial Unit" is being cut and ceremonies they will participate in limited, "to avoid the payment of overtime..." This is only the start.

So I don't think they're going to be in a big rush to write a blank check to Motorola to re-do the entire radio system anytime soon (or ever) when the one they have is more than sufficient.