FDNY Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwaysurfer

Hi all. While scanning Queens FDNY I notice after the dispatcher is finished dispatching units the comm remains open for some time (15 to 30 seconds) which makes it hard to scan other frequencies does anyone know why?

mule1075

Feed Provider
the button on the centracom console sticks open from time to time.actually alot of times but it is the most used button on the console.

Last edited:

FrankRaffa

Part of the reason is the new radio console. It uses a Windows GUI and you need to use a mouse to turn the mixer off and on. The placement of the button on the screen is situated so that you have to be careful when aiming the mouse because all of the buttons are so close together. That fine motor control takes a few extra seconds.

If you hear it left on more often lately it's because the architects of the new office decided that the best place for the "ON THE AIR" lights is behind the radio dispatcher; where it can't be seen without turning around.

mule1075

Feed Provider
thanks frank did not think of that at all.slightly of topic how are things going since you guys are not on empire blvd anymore?
Part of the reason is the new radio console. It uses a Windows GUI and you need to use a mouse to turn the mixer off and on. The placement of the button on the screen is situated so that you have to be careful when aiming the mouse because all of the buttons are so close together. That fine motor control takes a few extra seconds.

If you hear it left on more often lately it's because the architects of the new office decided that the best place for the "ON THE AIR" lights is behind the radio dispatcher; where it can't be seen without turning around.

MS1170

anyone know the new tx. pl's for the new uhf system, programming my boss' personal and the ones I was given don't work.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Hey Frank, how bout a few pics of the new radio console???

FDNY out of Empire Blvd?? Whys that?

FrankRaffa

The current radio console is nothing more than a 19-inch touch screen LCD.

Back in the late 90's when EMS Maspeth was falling into a sinkhole, we put in place a plan to decentralize EMS dispatch and put them in the 5 COs with us. That plan was scrapped in favor of the current PSAC plan implemented by the current administration. For reasons known only to them it's better to have 1 basket in which to put your eggs rather than the 5 we had.

Tac-1

Why not leave the mixer on all the time prob what they do when they start using the new system and turn off the vhf the so called mixer off message is not really needed they should give the brass a coded TRS channel to use for those private messages

Tac-1

The mixer off only keeps the input from being repeated on the output ie Newark fire is repeated all the time because the Mixer is on when they turn it off the mobiles can only be heard by dispatch or someone that has the input programed and is close to the transmitting mobile so when mixer is on the mobile will be automaticlly repeated dispatch does not have hold the transmitter key on

ff026

Feed Provider
i thinl what Tac-1 meant frank is why it is not a conventional repeater, which has a predetermined hang time.

FrankRaffa

That I can't answer other than the fact that it's never been that way in my 30+ years of listening.

ff026

Feed Provider
Probally a throw back to before there were repeaters. was the dispatch system simplex at one time and the inputs added later?

SCANdal

Silent Key
I'm assuming that this is not the case...

anyone know the new tx. pl's for the new uhf system, programming my boss' personal and the ones I was given don't work.

If your agency has valid authority to transmit on the FDNY's radio system (and there are an extremely small number of them), you can contact the FDNY's radio shop, who should gladly provide the information you require. If your agency does NOT have authority to transmit on the FDNY's radio systems then please do not expect anyone with the information to publically release it here on the forums. With the migration to UHF by the FDNY coming soon, system security (read: preventing unauthorized access to the repeaters, considering the large number of UHF radios in circulation in the city of New York) is now more of an issue then in the VHF-high band days.

SCANdal

auxscan

scandal is right

If your agency has valid authority to transmit on the FDNY's radio system (and there are an extremely small number of them), you can contact the FDNY's radio shop, who should gladly provide the information you require. If your agency does NOT have authority to transmit on the FDNY's radio systems then please do not expect anyone with the information to publically release it here on the forums. With the migration to UHF by the FDNY coming soon, system security (read: preventing unauthorized access to the repeaters, considering the large number of UHF radios in circulation in the city of New York) is now more of an issue then in the VHF-high band days.

SCANdal

why would you want to have the input frequencies, it'll just get you into trouble. keying up on any frequency your not authorized to is a fedral crime, $10,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.