FDNY TRUNKED SYSTEM DOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Signal 65-2 just transmitted on all borough frequencies that the FDNY trunking system will be down until further notice. Not sure of other agencies in the city, or if the entire trunked system(s) are down at this time.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The "control channel" has been alternating on 483.50625 and 483.51875. I also hear the system failsoft tone alternating with control channel data stream.

Danny37

Anybody hearing any traffic? I've been scanning the system for an hour and nothing is coming through.

Not just the FDNY TG's but everything else too.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Things seem to be back to normal this morning.

MStep

Down for what?

Unfortunately, they never privy me to that information. Since others here reported that they were not receiving any other agency traffic on the system as well, one can assume they had a citywide outage, possible for some repair work. Since the FDNY put out a 65-2 message to all units before the actual shutdown, it was obviously a pre-planned event. As others have reported, the system is now back up and operational.

Incidentally, for those unfamiliar with FDNY terminology. the "65-2" is holdover terminology from years gone by. When the FDNY firehouse bell system was operational, the bell series 6-5--2 was a signal for all members to monitor the department radio for a special message.

Reconrider

Unfortunately, they never privy me to that information. Since others here reported that they were not receiving any other agency traffic on the system as well, one can assume they had a citywide outage, possible for some repair work. Since the FDNY put out a 65-2 message to all units before the actual shutdown, it was obviously a pre-planned event. As others have reported, the system is now back up and operational.

Incidentally, for those unfamiliar with FDNY terminology. the "65-2" is holdover terminology from years gone by. When the FDNY firehouse bell system was operational, the bell series 6-5--2 was a signal for all members to monitor the department radio for a special message.
That's awesome. I'm no where near close enough to pick up anything NY related without a very high yagi pointed that way. and even then I probably still wouldn't get anything. But I like learning what other places do

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I'm no where near close enough to pick up anything NY related without a very high yagi pointed that way. and even then I probably still wouldn't get anything.
How many miles are you line of sight from NY? I am out in eastern Suffolk County and have picked up those systems with just a lna and an indoor antenna facing the opposite direction..

Reconrider

How many miles are you line of sight from NY? I am out in eastern Suffolk County and have picked up those systems with just a lna and an indoor antenna facing the opposite direction..
NY is pretty far line of sight. Mile wise, around maybe 60+ miles

Danny37

My uniden and whistler scanners are having a hard time locking onto the control channel. Is UHF Smartzone doitt undergoing maintenance again? I usually get a solid 5 bars on my RSSI, barely showing 2 right now.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. How much use does the trunk system get by FDNY and EMS? It doesn't look like dispatch or routine operations are there, but maybe I'm missing somethin.

Danny37

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. How much use does the trunk system get by FDNY and EMS? It doesn't look like dispatch or routine operations are there, but maybe I'm missing somethin.
Compared to the regular dispatch its not as active but you'll hear alot of supervisor and admin stuff on it. The Ems hospital TG is pretty active and the FD Division TG's.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Fire operates on conventional UHF for dispatch/fireground. Trunking is used for some admin stuff, and it's easier to communicate with the marine units over trunking given the wide area coverage. Division chiefs have the ability to patch fireground audio to the trunked system. EMS uses the trunked system for hospital notifications and some admin stuff, otherwise same as Fire, they operate on conventional UHF.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to both of you. I did enough hospital notifications over my career that I don't see much allure in listening to them. Same with supervisor chatter. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.