Fdny Uhf Radio Alert!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

will the old frequencies go dead?
I entered those frequencies into my pro 97 and some are active. however they keep on breaking up.

whats wrong with the current ems system.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
The current EMS system needed a full overhaul. The quality of the RX / TX was very poor, you could barely talk to the dispatcher from inside any building. There was many ER's that you couldn't even hear the dispatcher for messages.

auxscan

so why couldn't they improve the current system instead? I know its not the best but with my vertex i hear every single frequency from bronx to queens to staten island. I know PD radios don't really work well in hospitals as well. I guess its the jamming in hopsital since cell phone don't work.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Just an FYI - the new narrow UHF channels being used by EMS & FD put out so well that they can be heard on an HT in west end of Somerset County here in NJ.

NYC did something quite right with these new setups - I can really enjoy listening to the city now from where I live....

garys

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI - the new narrow UHF channels being used by EMS & FD put out so well that they can be heard on an HT in west end of Somerset County here in NJ.

NYC did something quite right with these new setups - I can really enjoy listening to the city now from where I live....

I've noticed that the UHF channels are very clear when I'm down in the Edison area. I can also here them in Hutchinson County when I'm heading down and back. Audio is very "crisp" too.

so why couldn't they improve the current system instead? I know its not the best but with my vertex i hear every single frequency from bronx to queens to staten island. I know PD radios don't really work well in hospitals as well. I guess its the jamming in hopsital since cell phone don't work.

There is no "jamming" in hospitals, but there is a lot of shielding especially in the Emergency Departments.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
These changes to "narrow band" have there roots in the FCC mandate to convert all public service freqs to 6.25 spacing. So the FD is ahead of the curve by switching now. The result will be more channels per Mhz than before.

auxscan

Will NYPD do the same?

I think its also an awesome thing for them to be all in one band. kudos to the FDNY to the swicth to UHF. I heard EMS come over the bronx 43/45 pct frequencies with a priorty about an EDP with a knife coming towards them, however the call came in as a disbreather. So PD was there less then 30 seconds. ESU was there to bag him up. Glad nobody was hurt.

SCANdal

Silent Key
auxiliary,

If you carefully re-read '175's post above yours you will note that it says "...all public safety freqs..." therefore yes, the New York City Police Department is subject to compliance with the Federal Communications Commission's January 1, 2013 narrowbanding mandate.

By the way...it's "diff breather" not disbreather. It's short for difficulty breathing.

SCANdal

ff026

Feed Provider
auxiliary,

If you carefully re-read '175's post above yours you will note that it says "...all public safety freqs..." therefore yes, the New York City Police Department is subject to compliance with the Federal Communications Commission's January 1, 2013 narrowbanding mandate.

By the way...it's "diff breather" not disbreather. It's short for difficulty breathing.

SCANdal

I believe the NYPD is trying to get the FCC to give them a waiver to stay wideband on there channels.

auxscan

I honesty think they should stay the way they are. NYPD has one of the best radio system. can hear every radio zone loud and clear from where i am, even the staten island frequencies. even when im in jersey most of the frequencies are clear.

n2nov

Latest news on the roll-out of the FDNY-EMS channels comes from a memo this week that they will be switching over on a channel-by-channel basis, one per day, to their new frequencies listed below. As a channel is switched over, they may temporarily be heard on the current EMS CW2 frequency (483.9875/94.8 PL). Dates are a target and may move around as the field techs get things ready in the various stations and units. Staten Island and Queens East are unknown at this time and not mentioned in the memo.

EMS (switchover dates in parentheses)
CW1 482.16875 / 79.7 PL (1/5/10)
CW2 482.21875 / 82.5 PL (1/20/10)
SI 482.24375 / 91.5 PL (?)
BK-C 482.50625 / 123.0 PL (1/8/10)
QN-W 482.51875 / 97.4 PL (1/6/10)
MN-N 482.75625 / 100.0 PL (1/14/10)
BX-S 482.76875 / 114.8 PL (1/12/10)
MN-C 482.98125 / 103.5 PL (1/15/10)
QN-E 483.03125 / 94.8 PL (?)
BX-N 483.20625 / 110.9 PL (1/13/10)
MN-S 483.21875 / 107.2 PL (1/19/10)
BK-N 483.28125 / 118.8 PL (1/11/10)
BK-S 483.29375 / 127.3 PL (1/7/10)

Queens East was done this morning. It was interesting to hear the testing, simulcast and confusion as I had several radios going at once with one channel on each.

eastrocks400

Didn't read this whole thread, but when is FDNY switching to dispatching on UHF and doing away with VHF?

n2nov

If anybody knew for sure when the switch was to take place, they would have already responded. We just need to have patience.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
im getting all the new FDNY channels loud and clear here from williamsburg in brooklyn..i have all 5 bouroughs plugged in to my XTS...im not sure when they are getting rid of the old VHF channels, but all the UHF are up and running,

Status
Not open for further replies.