Feature change request

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this the right place for it, but, here it goes.

Been a Uniden user since the early 80's.

I now own an SDS200, prior to that, an SDS100, and the HP's series.

Currently, when going into the menu to change a filter, one of the things that bugs me the most is having to scroll and push downthe menu tree, in order to change the desired setting.

In particular, whenever I'm presented with the "New System" option.

If I am already in a system that I've already programmed into a favorite list, and I need to get to the desired item, why am I presented with the "New System" option?

No, there's no new system I want to introduce and make a change to because...there's no system!

I just want to quickly make a change to the system I've already have in a favorite list, this "New System" option is totally unnecessary.

This introduces a delay in getting to, where I want to go!

Maybe I'm too dense.

Maybe my situation is unique.

Maybe there are other users who find this handy or useful, obviously not me.

Hey, Uniden, how's about doing a review of the whole UI, but before you do, you're welcome to come here and ask the users...'ya know, the ones who keep forking over the big bucks to buy your stuff?

While at it, how's about giving us the ability to change the options on the quick keys?
System, Dept, Channel, are fine.
Func+, CC, Site and Mod, not used very often.
That's 6 keys in total, I can think of other functions that could be assigned to these keys that would be more useful and a shortcut, in order to reach the desired setting I need to change.

Kaleier1

Don't waste your breath. Since Paul passed Uniden has been totally unresponsive. We can't even get the keypad to light up when touched. It either has to be on all the time or off all the time.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just a heads up 1 800-297-1023 Uniden Service Department is closed for training nothing given on when they will be done training.
Oh geez, does that mean that they're not working on repairs?

Ubbe

The filter settings have been more or less a beta feature to quickly solve some user problems. That's why it isn't implemented good enough in the menu system. It should be much easier to get to the filter settings while you evaluate which filter are the most effective. The keypad has some printed functions to them so it's hard to do anything with those as they need to create new hardware. Scanners already sold will be a bit strange to use if a new firmware uses any of the keypad shortcuts. The soft buttons could be a way of solving that.

/Ubbe

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Unfortunately I don't own the 100 or 200 but i have a 396T and a 325p2, do they have a menu button? Try func + menu, that seems to drill into the system you're already in at least for the 396 and 325.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Nope, on the 200, it just lands you in the "Menu"
KB3KBR, you missed my complaint, Uniden adds, in my view, an unnecessary option whenever you try to go down the menu tree.

In my example, I want to make a filter change. In order to do that, you have to go to menu, manage favorites, and before I choose the favorite list I want to access, I'm presented with "New Favorites List" at the top of all my FL's.

To continue and add insult to injury, after scrolling past the useless "New Favorites List" and pressing the "Review/Edit System", I am now at the "Select System" screen and before I can finally click on the system I want to change, I am again asked for "New System".

What? New System?

I've scrolled and clicked so many times, I'm missing voice traffic.

But wait, there's more,after scrolling and clicking once more, to select the site I want to change the filter on, I'm again presented with the choice of "New Site", in addition to the site I've already have.

Perhaps there's power users out there that, in the middle of a scan, feel the need to create, add, edit, totally new systems out of thin air.
I'd rather do that in software, on the PC, instead of digitally molesting my scanner...

Ubbe

The menu system has been the same since years back and can seem a bit strange at times. When the first HomePatrol scanner came it couldn't edit or add anything in the scanner, you had to use Sentinel. Then came the extreme package that allowed editing and adding directly at the scanner. Probably so many extreme packages where sold that Uniden decided to always include it in all later scanners.

When Uniden are content how things work they just copy it over to their next generation scanners, to save time and not have to invent the wheel again. Some things that looked fine in older scanners might look a bit out of place in newer scanners.

One thing with the filters that are strange are when you set it to auto and let the scanner decide what works best, then you can't see what filter has been choosen, so you can enter that manually to get rid of that delay time it needs when evaluating the different filters each time a system are scanned. You have to do that work yourself, trying to look at different parameters on the display to see what filter, if any, that would help a problematic situation. And of course, an instant access to filter settings and scroll thru them while listening live have always been a necessary feature that are missing. It's like the SDS scanners development have stopped at its beta stage.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.