Feature Request: Ability to disable stream remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tafische

Feed Provider
I work very closely with the agencies I stream. I have had one or two occasions in the 10+ years of broadcasting they have asked me to disable the stream when officer safety was involved. I think now is a good time to ask this question -

Would it be possible to add an option on the Manage Feeds page where we could disable the feed temporarily? Maybe an option to allow the feed provider to still listen if logged in, and maybe an option to still archive? Just thinking out loud here. I am not always home where I can access the PC to stop the feed so it would be nice to have that option.

Thanks guys!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
You could always run a service like "Log Me In", TeamViewer, or even Google Remote Desktop to log into your computer remotely and temporarily shut down streaming.

I know it isn't the solution you were looking for, but it is something that you can deploy yourself and have running in just a few minutes.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
I used to use Teamviewer for my streamer, and I've learned to kind of hate it. It's a resource hog on low power computers and of course it always leaves that stupid popup on both desktops after you close the session.

If you have a VPN on your home network (and if you don't, you should), just install TightVNC. Resource wise, it's like it isn't even there (only uses like 30MB RAM and shows 1% CPU even on an old Atom), and VNC Mobile is actually far more responsive and intuitive than Teamviewer Mobile.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
If you're using an actual scanner for the feed, a quick & dirty idea might be a "smart plug" that can be controlled via a phone app, that will simply kill the scanner. there will be dead air of course, but for a short period of time maybe ok?

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I have used these before with great results Web Power Switch

I *think* you can configure these to auto ping a website. If it's unreachable, you can have it power cycle a device such as a router or modem. I didn't try auto ping as I was only interested in remote outlet control.

Kill two birds with one stone, have the power strip auto power cycle your route/modem if it needs it. Another outlet could kill power to your radio, power supply or even your multicoupler (making the radio deaf but keeping the PC going), etc. Get creative !

It had a webpage I used to control it. I don't know if they have an app for it as I didn't try that. I VPN'd into the local network back in the day and control it that way.

I don't have access to it anymore as I used it for a customer I had with a previous employer.

Feed Provider
Chrome remote desktop has always worked for me. I can shut the feed down and startup the webserver , so I can still hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.