Feature Request / Tone Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
The tone filter on the search function provides an option to filter on DCS and PL. Would it be possible to implement NAC?
California Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

One other consideration would be to aggregate the selection per filter type. So group all of the PLs, DCS and NAC codes by type and then by number. Current grouping sorts by number first and then by tone type...

Certainly not a rush, but something to consider as time permits.

Thanks...

kma371

QRT
I don't think NACS are standardized like PL's/DCS. They can be any combination of letters/numbers. That would create a huge amount of possible choices.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I don't think NACS are standardized like PL's/DCS. They can be any combination of letters/numbers. That would create a huge amount of possible choices.

Great point. You'd need to change it into a text box and not a drop down.

As someone who is just getting started in NACs, I think it would be great to be able to specify a NAC and wildcard the frequency. Then I could see which agencies are using which NACs. For example during Fleetweek, I learned that USCG typically uses $293. But after some time in the db, I also learn that some other agencies can use that NAC as well.

I understand that as a pure filter, NAC filtering isn't as useful due to the smaller dataset for federal frequencies. But learning how different agencies/frequencies use common NACs would help find patterns in the data and NAC usage across agencies...

kma371

QRT
I think the only common NACs are fed based. There's is already a wiki which lists common fed NACs.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ecps92

USCG, VA PD, US Air Force, BLM, BPE, CBP, DOE, DOT,, FAA, FPS, FRB etc etc it seems to be a default entry vs going unique like 167, 156 or even FED which is the best I have seen

Great point. You'd need to change it into a text box and not a drop down.

As someone who is just getting started in NACs, I think it would be great to be able to specify a NAC and wildcard the frequency. Then I could see which agencies are using which NACs. For example during Fleetweek, I learned that USCG typically uses $293. But after some time in the db, I also learn that some other agencies can use that NAC as well.

I understand that as a pure filter, NAC filtering isn't as useful due to the smaller dataset for federal frequencies. But learning how different agencies/frequencies use common NACs would help find patterns in the data and NAC usage across agencies...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think it would be great to be able to specify a NAC and wildcard the frequency.

You can only wildcard the frequency over a 20 kHz spread during a DB search, so you'd still have to input dozens of frequencies to find frequencies that are using a NAC. In fact, that 20 kHz wildcard spread was only just introduced with the latest update, at my suggestion.

As was previously eluded to, there are 4096 possible NAC's, making it extremely impractical to have a dropdown list. Having a free form text box would almost certainly introduce problems when searching conventional frequencies for PL/DPL, since they are stored in the same DB field. You certainly can't expect the dropdown list for PL/DPL to be replaced in favor of a free form text box, especially given the fact that less than 2% of the DB is frequencies with a NAC.

I'm curious though, what is wrong with the P25 Conventional Report feature? You should be able to find everything you're talking about with that report, which is sortable by each field. If you need to further analyze the data, you can copy/paste the results into a spreadsheet. If there's an entry in the DB with a NAC, it should most certainly appear on the P25 Conventional Report, given the fact that NAC codes only exist on P25 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.