Feature suggestion: quick channel priority toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

prokrypt

Right now, if you were scanning a huge list of channels and you come across an interesting one that you want to keep tabs on, you either have to hold on the channel (and miss activity on other channels) or you could turn on priority for that channel. The problem is you have to go deep into the menus to toggle its priority, and the audio is muted the whole time you're in there twiddling the knob trying to look for the option...

I suggest a way to toggle channel priority from the keypad. The least intrusive method I can think of is holding down ". no / pri", with or without "function" toggled. The most ideal [and difficult to implement] method would be to let us set our own shortcuts for the 3 buttons "ZIP" "SERV" and "RANG"--I assume there are plenty of people who do not use those functions regularly and would rather have those buttons do something more useful.

Also, there needs to be an option to disable those fullscreen confirmations on holding, priority mode changes, etc. There are icons on the screen for those, so there's no reason to waste time confirming, especially since audio is muted during that time too.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Are you familiar with pressing the E (Yes) key when you encounter a channel/frequency you want to prioritize? Edit Current Channel...scroll to Set Priority, turn selector to on. Took me about 2 seconds to perform this task.

One thing to note is setting Priority in Trunk vs Conventional is not the same.

prokrypt

Are you familiar with pressing the E (Yes) key when you encounter a channel/frequency you want to prioritize? Edit Current Channel...scroll to Set Priority, turn selector to on. Took me about 2 seconds to perform this task.

One thing to note is setting Priority in Trunk vs Conventional is not the same.

Yep, that is how I do it, but it takes me 4-5 seconds minimum. Though even 2 seconds is still a pretty long time to be deaf to a live transmission...

prokrypt

I added the feature to my still-in-progress remote control app and now setting priority is near instant. I'm considering making a physical wireless remote head with 4-5 knobs (maybe don't need a squelch knob, just a 3-way toggle: open, 2, and max) and lots of buttons....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220715-231120.png
    Screenshot_20220715-231120.png
    64 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Junior1980

Premium Subscriber
I added the feature to my still-in-progress remote control app and now setting priority is near instant. I'm considering making a physical wireless remote head with 4-5 knobs (maybe don't need a squelch knob, just a 3-way toggle: open, 2, and max) and lots of buttons....

What radio is it and where did you get the remote? Really cool gadget ya got there 😊

prokrypt

What radio is it and where did you get the remote? Really cool gadget ya got there 😊

BCD536HP, and I'm sending remote commands via UDP over wifi. I'm not sure if I'll ever complete the app, but I'll make it open source if it happens!

prokrypt

Will it be accessible to SDS100 as well or just BCD536HP?
Some ugly ethernet hack would be needed. Of course, someone could always add in serial support if it's open-sourced...

Any plans on doing the RTSP audio?

That's a bit too complicated for me on Android. However, it should be pretty simple to implement on a hardware remote head unit. I've already gotten it to work under Linux so it can't be much more difficult to implement on a microcontroller (though I have very little experience with those too--just started a few days ago).
Also, I just thought about how cool it would be to pull out your wireless head unit anywhere and remotely operate & listen to your radio. By the time I learn how to do ip tunneling on a Pi Pico W I'll be a programming master, lol.

prokrypt

I only had 3 rotary encoders 😭
1 for holding/navigating system, 1 for department, and 1 for channel/general.

It works so smoothly. Much fun to play with 🤗
Educational, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_171146656_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220719_171146656_HDR~2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 16

prokrypt

I ran out of buttons, but I happened to have an IR receiver nearby 😅
Programming it was very educational. Programmed the "Favorite" button to toggle priority on a channel too.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I would love to see a SDS396 and SDS996. The older DMA scanners are so much easier to use. They would be perfect with plenty of resources for firefighters to monitor their county and surrounding counties for mutual aid. Just leave everything exactly the same except for adding the ability to monitor simulcast systems. Quick keys are so much easier to use when dealing with just systems and groups. Having the ability to assign system quick keys to multiple sites is so much easier with the DMA scanners than the department/site quick key arrangement in the BCDx36HP and SDS100/200 scanners. There are far fewer buttons to press to make changes while driving. If Uniden offered those scanners, I would be the first in line.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Having the ability to assign system quick keys to multiple sites is so much easier with the DMA scanners than the department/site quick key arrangement in the BCDx36HP and SDS100/200 scanners.

You do have this option available if that's what you need to do. You can assign all your sites to Quick Key 99 for example, or assign a site Quick Key to correspond with a Department (1 as an example), or maybe I'm misunderstanding your request?

Status
Not open for further replies.