Fed LE using 138 MHz?

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Question for those who have monitored the Federal band for longer than me: I picked up what I believe is the input to the Carrizo Springs USBP repeater today, and the pairing appears to be 166.9875 RX, 138.1875 TX, NAC 310. I’m hesitant to accept this as fact, lol. Has anyone else seen this happening with Federal LE using what is traditionally the military/guard land mobile spectrum? I realize the southern border is a hodgepodge of Texas NG, state troopers and border patrol, so if it’s accurate it may just be a product of the times.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I also realize it could be an image, but as I left the city heading west the 138.1875 activity faded out quickly. Also many more data transmissions were making it through the 138.1875 side than were being broadcast out of the repeater which makes me confident it is the input.

ecps92

Extremely odd to see 166 and 138 paired
as 166 is Federal and 138 would generally be Military

I am inclined to go IMAGE as the old analog input (DPL days) for 166.9875 Carrrizo Springs was in the 164 band

Question for those who have monitored the Federal band for longer than me: I picked up what I believe is the input to the Carrizo Springs USBP repeater today, and the pairing appears to be 166.9875 RX, 138.1875 TX, NAC 310. I’m hesitant to accept this as fact, lol. Has anyone else seen this happening with Federal LE using what is traditionally the military/guard land mobile spectrum? I realize the southern border is a hodgepodge of Texas NG, state troopers and border patrol, so if it’s accurate it may just be a product of the times.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I’m almost 100% certain that 138.1875 is not an input to 166.9875. I’ve never seen any DHS LE frequencies in that range. l will check my notes and see if I can find anything on this.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I’m almost 100% certain that 138.1875 is not an input to 166.9875. I’ve never seen any DHS LE frequencies in that range. l will check my notes and see if I can find anything on this.
I’m in agreement at this time, it was probably just an image with DSD since I was in close proximity to the tower

gary123

Canada uses the 138/142 pairings but your description of the signal rules that out.

ecps92

True, we can all be amazed at what is found, out of band (White Whales err Motorhomes with hydraulic antennas in 400-405)
I'd tend to agree with the image theory, with a cautionary note. DEA used to have at least four simplex freqs in the 149 and 150 areas for certain investigations, and I know several Fed LE agencies that currently have simplex frequencies in the 138 band for the same. Security through obscurity and all that.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
True, we can all be amazed at what is found, out of band (White Whales err Motorhomes with hydraulic antennas in 400-405)
My favorite was a 483.xxxx freq I once found in use for surveillance in the Seattle area. 2 units who had no clue where they were, frequently consulting paper maps and making remarks that "things don't look like this back home", etc. I thought it was an image for a bit but, after A LOT of work, I finally figured out it was a channel for a large SoCal Sheriff's department (that's still in use today) being used in simplex mode by 2 teams of 2 detectives each following a suspect who was eventually apprehended by Seattle PD and extradited back to CA.

Never saw the White Whale but I hear it's around in a new form.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I know of Fed/DHS freqs in the 138MHz range and they are used.

Exactly, as well as business band and random public safety and interop frequencies. With so many agencies using multiband radios now they can and do use stuff all over, especially if they are radio-saavy.

prcguy

Exactly, as well as business band and random public safety and interop frequencies. With so many agencies using multiband radios now they can and do use stuff all over, especially if they are radio-saavy.
The 138MHz freqs I'm familiar with have been in use for many years and are designated for DHS and other Fed use under NTIA.