Federal airborne video/audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

I've been hearing airborne FBI spotter references to aircraft video/audio Foxtrot 11 channel downlinks repeating terrestrial UCV video and D4/D8 audio. Anybody hearing similar in your area?

kennyblues

Some time ago I had an Omaha surveillance helo in contact with a ground unit instructing him on how to receive the video from the helo. He instructed the ground unit to make sure his receiver is set for 2285.00 MHz. This was heard in Massachusetts, so the helo could have been in any of the surrounding states, as he told the ground unit he was at 4,000' and the ground unit was not heard.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
DEA does the same thing in every major metro area. The video feed is unencrypted is you have the means to intercept it but you would need to be in range typically within a few miles of the aircraft. They are typically using unmarked Eurocopters.

USMS also has fixed wing aircraft with FLIR/video but I dont know if they are doing down link. I saw one of their Cessna aircraft in Kansas City and it didnt appear to have an antenna for doing video down link.

Also the national guard in almost every state has twin engine fixed wing aircraft available for narcotics surveillance. Most have video down link capability. I know Florida has 2 Saab's used for this purpose but they do travel outside of FL.

jsoergel

I logged a civil ISR aircraft during NATO exercises this fall using video downlinks listed below...worth noting since they are often "rented" by government agencies when federal aircraft aren't available.

1820.0 - low power video and metadata
1840.0 - high power video

Squad10

What frequencies are we talkin here?What area even better-

Area of operation, Chicago. Don't know what frequency band was used. Only heard video/audio channel references.

I suspect operation in one of the followng bands:

Band Freq Low Freq High
in (GHz)
L-Band 1.755 - 1.85
S-Band 2.2 - 2.4
C-Band 4.4 - 5.0
X-Band 8.1 - 8.5

Other reports from this thread fall in same.

Band information from:

U.S. Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Quantico Contracts Unit
Engineering Research Facility
Request for Proposal (RFP) E007216R (136 pgs)
April 15, 2009

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation solicits your proposal for the acquisition of video
transmitters, receivers and ancillary equipment and services. Enclosed is Request For
Proposal E007216R."

From what I've read and heard, I believe UC camera and video encoder worn by CI to be AXIS Communications M7001 Video Encoder with covert camera:

Press material | Axis Communications

Ground (TOCK or TAC? ID) video/audio surveillance unit reported no video/audio reception from F/W Lima at FL6000, same report at FL4000.

About three years ago I heard LIMA reference "live video being monitored at Chicago Division" LIMA was above Schaumburg, IL.

Status
Not open for further replies.