Federal Express Truck Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I didn't think their drivers used radio frequencies anymore, however I noticed a fed ex truck today from Union, NJ with a very small antenna on its roof. It appeared to be only 3" tall. I searched the term federal express in the FCC database, but nothing shows up. Anyone have information on them?

ecps92

The trucks with the Laptop/Tablets connect via the typical Cellular bands.

The LMR [Part 90] licenses are generally the Sorting Operations (fix the conveyor belt) and loading at the various warehouses. Generally Low Powe and you need to right in the neighborhood

I didn't think their drivers used radio frequencies anymore, however I noticed a fed ex truck today from Union, NJ with a very small antenna on its roof. It appeared to be only 3" tall. I searched the term federal express in the FCC database, but nothing shows up. Anyone have information on them?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
To add to what Bill said, it's licensed for narrowband analog voice, so it should be monitorable...but 20w ERP at 60 feet won't talk too far.

beastieboy101

The trucks with the Laptop/Tablets connect via the typical Cellular bands.

The LMR [Part 90] licenses are generally the Sorting Operations (fix the conveyor belt) and loading at the various warehouses. Generally Low Powe and you need to right in the neighborhood

Sounds just like what was used at the UPS sorting facility I worked at a few years ago. I worked the AM pre sort shift getting all the trucks filled up for the drivers. The facility had a few low power freqs in the 450/460mhz band. ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQJC464 - United Parcel Service

I stayed after work one morning in the parking lot with my scanner. Found the freq pretty quickly.

Analogrules

Thanks for all the good input. I did hear some extremely weak comms on the fed ex frequencies, but so weak that I couldn't even make out what was being said. So, this makes sense. I am curious, is there a way to find out the PL tone from the fcc database?

phillydjdan

FedEx trucks in the Philly area had Motorola Spectra analog radios in the 800 or 900 MHz band. They were special in that the bodies were orange. This was maybe 15 years ago, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.