Federal Information in Database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirkenVogt

While I have occasionally come across some info about different forests, etc. it seems hard to find this information starting at the map of the US in the database. Am I missing something here?

Birken

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
BirkenVogt said:
While I have occasionally come across some info about different forests, etc. it seems hard to find this information starting at the map of the US in the database. Am I missing something here?

Birken
If you click on WIKI at the top of the page and click on Common Frequencies, there are some more Federal Freqs there.

Hope this helps

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm with BirkenVogt too. over the past few weeks, I have been trying to find all gov't feqs in my area. where I live, I can get about 4 different states, about a dozen cities and counties plus Washington DC. if I stumble across something, I have to do a search in the database in all of these in hopes of finding it. if I don't, I assume it's "new" or at least not known to me. an example is the C&O Canal. it falls under National Park Service and Dept. of Interior as well. if you look in MD, the US Park Service listings are mixed in with MD State park freqs. Some of the National (US) Park Service Freqs are active in WV; nothing is listed in WV for the C&O Canal.

another example is the unidentified DoD systems listed in Fairfax, VA. if they are unidentified, how do we know they are actually in Fairfax? why can't they be in Loudoun Co, VA? from looking at these listings, it looks like there could be a larger system of which there may be a part of. I have found a few new 380MHz P25 systems where I live an work.

I think there needs to be something for Federal freqs. maybe there should be a link for "Federal Systems/Freqs" on the main US database page. then, from there broken down by state and service. so, someone (myself) wanted to have a list of the C&O Canal, I would look under Dept. of Interior then National Park Service. under that, one would select C&O Canal where you'd find a whole list no matter what state it's in but the state would be listed for the service used strictly for that state but that falls under the agency and location. I'm not 100% sure, but think this may be the same case for the Blue Ridge Parkway since it spans a few states as well. for the DoD systems, would could have a "master" listing for Dept. of Homeland Security then all that fall under it (FBI, DoD, FEMA ect) then agencies under it. you would then select DoD then see all the systems known for it.

this may be more prevalent in the future since there is to be interoperability amongst all agencies. as these are built, the RR database would be ready for it.

just my thoughts.

Gilligan

Database Admin
mike_s104 said:
where I live, I can get about 4 different states, about a dozen cities and counties plus Washington DC
Exactly. There is a need for a Federal section of the database, maybe just the same method of implementation as a US state is in the database...except instead of states and counties, the "state" idea could be Federal and the "counties" could be states....just thinking about ideas...

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Gilligan said:
Exactly. There is a need for a Federal section of the database, maybe just the same method of implementation as a US state is in the database...except instead of states and counties, the "state" idea could be Federal and the "counties" could be states....just thinking about ideas...

that would be better then nothing. would also be good to have a cross search for someone that is looking for a specific county/city/state who would be pointed to the US "state" hits in their area.

Gilligan

Database Admin
What would really be great is a NATIONWIDE search function (for subscribers...) that would include the freq and/or PL/DCS tone.

This would be extremely helpful for federal freqs and just finding freqs for the problem you mentioned above. I lived in western MD all my life and had those problems forever that you mentioned (MD, PA, WV, VA, DC...)

Gilligan

Database Admin
The tone search would be extremely helpful in identifying not only feds but many agencies. Many of them use the same PL tones for all their channels.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Gilligan said:
The tone search would be extremely helpful in identifying not only feds but many agencies. Many of them use the same PL tones for all their channels.

another would be agencies some-what close together that use the same freq but different tone. there is one that is the same for the state PD and then a larger city where I am uses it as well. the state PD use the CTCSS tone with the city uses DCS. I was always having the city show up on the state PD bank. until I set the tone for both, I was getting confused. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.