Federal Itinerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

Anyone a subscriber to an e-magazine called "The Spectrum Monitor"?

If you are, in the August issue [page 40] there is an article in the "Federal Wavelengths" column that speaks of and lists "federal itinerant" frequencies.

What does that term mean? I've not heard it before.

Many thanks!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Spectrum Monitor is a great magazine and @ChrisP always has an interesting column called "Federal Wavelengths", well worth the subscription price alone.

The simple explanation is an itinerant frequency is one that doesn't have a home, it is used where the job/user takes it. Often times construction companies use this type of frequencies (in the civilian spectrum) because they move from location to location around a state or the country.

Alain

O.K. Glenn. Thank you for clarifying that term for me! I agree; I've been a TSM subscriber since early 2014 and have learned a lot by reading the various authors. Have you been a subscriber long? I've written an article for TSM and found the process very rewarding!

You are wearing a vest in your QRZ webpage; are you engaged in C.E.R.T. in some way?

If you are, then you'll might want to read my article...send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details

Alain

I didn't either until a friend of mine mentioned it to me.

It's a great bit of radio-journalism, as it were. TSM includes ham radio, scanning, OTA broadcasting, Mil-Com, Fed comms, SWL "utes", and a host of other radio-related columns, some of the authors were also writers for the old "Monitoring Times".

TSM shows up on your computer every month for under $30, for 12 issues. If you have a special idea for an article, Ken Reitz KS4Z, the editor, is always open and receptive to new ideas.

Ask nicely and you may be able to get a copy to look through. ;->

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

If you are, in the August issue [page 40] there is an article in the "Federal Wavelengths" column that speaks of and lists "federal itinerant" frequencies.

Many thanks!

Essentially, TSM took the place of Monitoring Times with some of the same contributors (like bob Grove and Larry Van Horn). It is surprising to me that anyone here does not know of its existence. The August 2020 issue totals 88 pages. Bob reviews a MFJ Noise-Canceling Signal Enhancer and Larry has hi Milcom column. It is not new, it has been around monthly since 2014.

ecps92

Also right here in the RR Wiki

Many thanks!

JDrisc3480

No, No, No. You are wrong. Nothing will take the place of Monitoring Times.

It's (TSM) a good magazine, but it ain't print and I can't buy it at the store.

the 21st Century: I may have to live in it, but I ain't gonna be happy bout it.
I agree. I prefer to actually turn the pages of a magazine then scroll on a computer or tablet. I guess if we really wanted to we could print it out, staple the pages together and read it that way lol

Alain

"No, No, No. You are wrong. Nothing will take the place of Monitoring Times."

"It's (TSM) a good magazine..." How would you know if you're not a subscriber?

"...it ain't print and I can't buy it at the store."

The logic that buying at the store is a prerequisite to reading [and subscribing to] good information about a hobby that you apparently enjoy, and engage in, escapes me.

The editor of TSM worked at M/T and many of the authors who submit articles to TSM [including me] also worked at M/T. So, near as I can tell, The Spectrum Monitor is the best "replacement" for Monitoring Times as you are likely to find for quite a while.

You can hold onto your $24 and not subscribe. That choice rests with you. Meanwhile...missing a lot of great articles in the process.

For $24, it's a great "read"...electronically speaking.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If you loved Monitoring Times, you'll absolutely love The Spectrum Monitor. Also cures my fix for PopComm. I have a magazine rack on the wall in my ham shack/studio, and I sure do miss the glossies of yesterday. Digital electronic issues are the norm now. I get all my mags in PDF mostly, books are MOBI files for Kindle, and most of my music is MP3s. Ya gotta keep up! ;)

spacellamaman

I guess if we really wanted to we could print it out, staple the pages together and read it that way lol
i do

"It's (TSM) a good magazine..." How would you know if you're not a subscriber?

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. Just cause my first wife left me doesn't mean i can't get remarried. But she ain't the first wife...

The logic that buying at the store is a prerequisite to reading [and subscribing to] good information about a hobby that you apparently enjoy, and engage in, escapes me.

No Sheldon, what escapes you is the ability to distinguish the nuances of non-literal communication. It's ok though, it doesn't make you a bad person. Take that literally.

The editor of TSM worked at M/T and many of the authors who submit articles to TSM [including me] also worked at M/T. So, near as I can tell, The Spectrum Monitor is the best "replacement" for Monitoring Times as you are likely to find for quite a while.

I have no disagreement with any of the above statements. What were the topics of your articles, if ya don't mind my asking? I probably read and liked them.

You can hold onto your $24 and not subscribe. That choice rests with you. Meanwhile...missing a lot of great articles in the process.

For $24, it's a great "read"...electronically speaking.

[FACETIOUS] Yer darn tootin', not like in Russia where they force you to subscribe, and take away your rubles. America! Puck Yeah! Free to not read! [/FACETIOUS]

That's why I get my issues a la carte, or so my therapist tells me.

*...tossed salads and scrambled eggs...*

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
No, No, No. You are wrong. Nothing will take the place of Monitoring Times.

It's (TSM) a good magazine, but it ain't print and I can't buy it at the store.

the 21st Century: I may have to live in it, but I ain't gonna be happy bout it.

You can print it yourself if you want and printed magazines of all sorts are dying. Why you want to buy it in a store and not subscribe?
(P.S. I contributed to and sometimes wrote articles under my own and other names for MT.) But I agree that TSM could be better but the hobby would have to do better to support that.

spacellamaman

You can print it yourself if you want and printed magazines of all sorts are dying. Why you want to buy it in a store and not subscribe?
(P.S. I contributed to and sometimes wrote articles under my own and other names for MT.) But I agree that TSM could be better but the hobby would have to do better to support that.

good grief people. i am not, nor did i mean to give the impression, that there is anything wrong with TSM. Or MT. or whatever else i made the mistake of trying to make a funny-funny (tho clearly now not-so-funny) over.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I certainly enjoy watching threads derail as much as the next guy, but the OP had a valid question. The linked wiki entry was a good idea.

I personally have many of those noted freqs programmed in my "always on" federal unknowns scan list, and have caught a dizzying variety of traffic on them (some aren't in my list as they're already in use locally).

I've also found the USCG on the UHF federal itinerants, using them for on-board operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.