Federal monitoring near wake county

Status
Not open for further replies.

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, just got my 536hp to complement my other scanners, In the past I've monitored the fed le agencies on my 396t, hearing them mostly on viper.

With my hp, I'm not noticing any traffic on the assigned le frequencies from the RR database. Granted, I've only been monitoring for less then a week, but I thought I'd hear something.

Where are you guys having the best luck? Any interesting freqs that aren't in the rr database?

nd5y

Any interesting freqs that aren't in the rr database?
Depending on your area there may be little or no federal stuff in the database. I'm not familiar with NC so I don't know how many federal users are on your state trunked system.

These wiki articles may help you. Many of the linked atricles have frequency lists:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Frequencies#Federal_Government
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:US_Federal_Government_Frequencies

This article lists the ranges of frequencies assigned to the federal government:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Federal_VHF/UHF_Channel_Plans

Some of the nationwide federal frequencies are in the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?coid=1&tab=nationwide

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
Depending on your area there may be little or no federal stuff in the database. I'm not familiar with NC so I don't know how many federal users are on your state trunked system.

These wiki articles may help you. Many of the linked atricles have frequency lists:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Frequencies#Federal_Government
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:US_Federal_Government_Frequencies

This article lists the ranges of frequencies assigned to the federal government:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Federal_VHF/UHF_Channel_Plans

Some of the nationwide federal frequencies are in the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?coid=1&tab=nationwide

Thanks. There is a decent amount of fed frequencies for the raleigh area in the database. Just not hearing anything on them currently.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. There is a decent amount of fed frequencies for the raleigh area in the database. Just not hearing anything on them currently.

Also: Since it is an HomePatrol scanner make sure you have the "Federal" Service Type enabled within Sentinel and the scanner. I also agree that Federal radio traffic is hit or miss. You may go days without hearing anything.

Marshall KE4ZNR

ecps92

And for the OP, some agencies are undergoing changes, so info maybe out-of-date.
ie: TSA with new Freqs and NACs, the USFS changing Repeater pairs....

So probably best to go into Search mode in the various Federal Bands, to find what is actually local to you
Also: Since it is an HomePatrol scanner make sure you have the "Federal" Service Type enabled within Sentinel and the scanner. I also agree that Federal radio traffic is hit or miss. You may go days without hearing anything.

Marshall KE4ZNR

spacellamaman

With my hp, I'm not noticing any traffic on the assigned le frequencies from the RR database.

just out of curiousity and to make sure i haven't missed something, are you refering to the statewide fed listings and/or the specific listings for wake and surrounding counties? i ask cause i have heard little to none on most of the relatively scarce (i think? have i missed something?) listings and i have had them scanning for a couple of years now.

Any interesting freqs that aren't in the rr database?

i should mention i am located between charlotte and greensboro so my monitoring closer to wake county area has been infrequent, but i have noticed commonalities on the occasions i have been in the wake co area. mainly i would suggest scanning/search and storing thru the 163-174 range for a few days and see what you get. anything without a NAC/tone stored, just leave carrier squelch and over time you'll start seeing whats active. even stuff stored with a NAC you might want to leave open. for instance i get hits on 170.1 from time to time with $167 and $B00.

traffic is very sporadic and most of it seems to be vote-scan type key ups, but thats good to start off with cause you get a better idea of whats going on on what freqs. when it gets going though it can dominate everything. like a couple of weeks ago, bout the time they were doing the highly publicized round-ups i was wanting to listen to specific mil-air activities and had to lock all the fed stuff out. bout 75% was in the clear that time which was rather frustrating since that is usually not the case, but dern it they were clogging up my scanner at the wrong time.

there is a lot of interesting stuff that pops up from time to time. ex: 167.5375 PL67.0 (i think thats right) makes god awful racket, but about half the time i hear it i'll find on flightradar24 that somewhere in the middle of NC there will be a cessna that seems to have its ability to go straight or make left turns all but gone :) they prob ought to see a mechanic.

uhf seems rather sparse for my area, mainly the Fed Reserve and FPS but that may not be the case in Wake area so hit up the 406-420 too.

just keep searching manually, theres alot more than the database would indicate.

ecps92

170.1000 $B00 is coming to you from Dodge City or Winston-Salem for ICE
$167 might be a false report lingering from a previous freq.

167.5375, check your radio to ensure it is set for Auto or P25 as 67.0 is likely reporting the freq in FM mode, not P25

i should mention i am located between charlotte and greensboro so my monitoring closer to wake county area has been infrequent, but i have noticed commonalities on the occasions i have been in the wake co area. mainly i would suggest scanning/search and storing thru the 163-174 range for a few days and see what you get. anything without a NAC/tone stored, just leave carrier squelch and over time you'll start seeing whats active. even stuff stored with a NAC you might want to leave open. for instance i get hits on 170.1 from time to time with $167 and $B00.

traffic is very sporadic and most of it seems to be vote-scan type key ups, but thats good to start off with cause you get a better idea of whats going on on what freqs. when it gets going though it can dominate everything. like a couple of weeks ago, bout the time they were doing the highly publicized round-ups i was wanting to listen to specific mil-air activities and had to lock all the fed stuff out. bout 75% was in the clear that time which was rather frustrating since that is usually not the case, but dern it they were clogging up my scanner at the wrong time.

there is a lot of interesting stuff that pops up from time to time. ex: 167.5375 PL67.0 (i think thats right) makes god awful racket, but about half the time i hear it i'll find on flightradar24 that somewhere in the middle of NC there will be a cessna that seems to have its ability to go straight or make left turns all but gone :) they prob ought to see a mechanic.

uhf seems rather sparse for my area, mainly the Fed Reserve and FPS but that may not be the case in Wake area so hit up the 406-420 too.

just keep searching manually, theres alot more than the database would indicate.

badmuther

Premium Subscriber
just out of curiousity and to make sure i haven't missed something, are you refering to the statewide fed listings and/or the specific listings for wake and surrounding counties? i ask cause i have heard little to none on most of the relatively scarce (i think? have i missed something?) listings and i have had them scanning for a couple of years now.

Statewide.

badmuther

Premium Subscriber

Marshall KE4ZNR

Yep, federal is enabled, thanks.

AlphaFive

Fed frequencies

If I had to make a list of the top people I would want to hear from for Fed Frequencies in your area, the three you just heard from are right at the top. They have helped me over the years too many times to count.. Even if you think what they tell you might be off, it always proves out to be correct. I count on all of them in my Fed searches when I've got a question. I wish more radio people would explore the Fed Bands, It's where I spend my time. I'm to the west of you, but not too far away, glad your here, Lance
Chimps don't have five fingers, can't count, four people, not three.. same holds true

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.