Federal non-LE uses on commercial systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Has anyone caught any other federal non LE users on commercial radio systems? I'm listening on the OneVoice MOTOTRBO Connect Plus and caught a user that sounds like USPS mail truck traffic. References were made to USPS facilities and Post Office throughout Long Island NY, but not sure if it is USPS Contractor radio traffic or actual USPS traffic.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Has anyone caught any other federal non LE users on commercial radio systems?
I got VA Maintenance temporarily using a DMR Rental System for a few days while they were getting an upgrade from the supply company. I've never caught USPS on a commercial system, only got them on the 409-417 band using DMR

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As the USPS is a hybrid, anything is possible. They are not a purely FED agency any more. There are multiple "civilian" parts to that monster. From contracted transport companies rolling those semi trucks, to rural route folks in POV's. Then you have the "Uniformed" Postal folks, and full time Federal Law Enforcement Agents of the Postal Inspection Service. I have even heard a RRD person using an CB, yes, CB, to inform the desk clerk at a rural PO that they would be running late due to a washed out bridge.

west-pac

I have even heard a RRD person using an CB, yes, CB, to inform the desk clerk at a rural PO that they would be running late due to a washed out bridge.

I bet Boss Hogg was involved! 🤣🤣

spacellamaman

NC had a spate of P25 encrypted comms on some VHF/UHF Biz itinerants back in June. It would stand to reason there was some sort of Federal angle involved there, tho perhaps not directly.

to inform the desk clerk at a rural PO that they would be running late due to a washed out bridge.

an excuse that you can use only so many times.

But No One would believe that you got stuck in traffic!

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
NC had a spate of P25 encrypted comms on some VHF/UHF Biz itinerants back in June. It would stand to reason there was some sort of Federal angle involved there, tho perhaps not directly.

an excuse that you can use only so many times.

But No One would believe that you got stuck in traffic!
Down in rural MS, the "Washed Out Bridge" could be used at least once a year in some places. (Jefferson County for example)... Seriously a buttload of dirt and gravel roads where all it takes is a a couple of good rains and your taking ATV trails through the woods as the small wooden bridge, or culvert under the road has been washed out and now there is a big gap where there used to be a road. LOL your right about the traffic, unless its deer season, then you can get some nasty snarls as every person with a 4X4, or that can pack a dog box, ATV, and gun in a vehicle is trying to get to the "good" stands on public lands. Meanwhile the locals are trying to both enjoy hunting, and patrol their lands from all the "foreigners" that invade from October til February each year. Not to mention the UPS guy that is actually driving "Big Brown" at Interstate speeds on those aforementioned dirt and gravel roads.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I bet Boss Hogg was involved! 🤣🤣
Nope... Just how folks roll out in the country/woods in rural MS. Up until fairly recently, there were miles of land that you had NO cell phone coverage at all, and the USPS was not going to spend a buttload of bucks on a radio system for all the tiny town post offices for the guy/gal in his/her own car out on those dirt and gravel roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.