Federal P229 357Sig

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
I know USSS carries it and FAMS did. Any other agencies w/ a P229 in 357Sig? Who made/makes the special sights for Air Marshals?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I know USSS carries it and FAMS did. Any other agencies w/ a P229 in 357Sig? Who made/makes the special sights for Air Marshals?

https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p229.aspx

SIGLITE® Night Sights

Sig Sauer P229 - Personal Defense World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P226#P229

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know USSS carries it and FAMS did."

Federal Air Marshals carry the Sig Sauer P229 service pistol chambered for .357 SIG and an ASP expandable baton. According to an anonymous air marshal, they are trained to "shoot to stop," typically firing at the largest part of the body (the chest) and then the head to "incapacitate the nervous system."[15]
Federal Air Marshal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite "Federal" Law Enforcement Agency carries the P229

Diplomatic Security Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a P226 in 9mm with Sig nite sights......and I love it. An accurate handgun, although extra magazines ( Original Sig Sauer magazines ) are expensive. About $76.00 an extra mag.

P229 is a nice piece of hardware and an excellent carry gun.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the suggestions, but some of that info is old as DHS/Border Patrol went away from issuing Sig and neither were 357Sig to begin with. I know about SigLite, but Federal Air Marshals use/d specially modified sights. Just clarification on orig post not a criticism.

DSS is nice.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
I have shot P226 9mm, but only with FMJ not +P. I'd narrowed my decision to 226 in 9 or 229 in .357Sig as I shot the 40 previously and want something different, but could always get the 40 barrel. I was leaning away from 229 in 9 bc 1. P229 was designed around higher pressure rounds ie 40 and .357S and 2. 226 in 9 is very nice so I'd take the extra rounds in 226 w/ extra size vs 229. Was leaning away from 226 in .357S bc round count doesn't justify extra size. Ultimately I will probably get Classic 22 P226 or P229 and then buy the Sig CalX kit for whichever cal (9mm or .357S) I pick. DSS gives validity to 229 9, but FAMS/USSS do to .357S 229 and SEALS to 226 9 ;-).

ff-medic

Banned
Appreciate the suggestions, but some of that info is old as DHS/Border Patrol went away from issuing Sig and neither were 357Sig to begin with. I know about SigLite, but Federal Air Marshals use/d specially modified sights. Just clarification on orig post not a criticism.

DSS is nice.

I watched a show on Discovery channel a few months ago...this past winter - dated for the year 2012 if I recall correctly - Border Patrol in Texas. Looked like they were carrying Sig 229's and Glock 22's ( .40 caliber ).

I watch Cop shows, one of the first things I look at is the side arms.

"Cocked and Locked" 1911's in Texas ( "Cops ) . Glock handguns in Florida ( "Cops" and "Real TV" ). Sig Sauer handguns in California.

I believe the 229 for DHS is .40 caliber. I like my .45 ACP and my 9mm ( with the correct loads ) , but the
.40 caliber to me.....seems to be the ultimate Law Enforcement load as far as against perpetrators and barriers ( walls - vehicles - vehicle engine blocks - wooded areas such as small trees - thin metal barriers ).
I see the .40 caliber as the ultimate multi-purpose caliber.

Right now, off the top of my head....the ultimate .40 caliber load would be the 180 grain bullet.

And yes. The Diplomatic Security Service. The unsung heros of Federal Law Enforcement. The "prolonged" foreign service would be the downside......but those are "The Top Folks". Terror investigations, international fugitives ( locations the FBI is not located, nor where foreign embassys exist ) , their counter-intelligence mission, their intelligence mission, their protective mission, the various investigations that they handle - and you do not hear very often of the men and women behind the scenes that perfom functions and tasks too numerous to mention.

The United States Diplomatic Security Service......." The Dark Operations of Federal Law Enforcement" Ninjas as I call them.

If I was 20 years younger and had a bachelors degree.....I would probably apply, but when I was younger and fresh out of the Military ; a college education was the last thing on my mind.

Enjoy these links :

Diplomatic Security Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Special Agents

Bureau of Diplomatic Security

Bureau of Diplomatic Security: Photo Galleries

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSD is composed of specially trained Diplomatic Security Service Special Agents that typically operate in high-threat environments with little outside support
Mobile Security Deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Forty Cal " - Detail Page for Part # 23962

Compare to the .45 - Detail Page for Part # 23964

The ."357 Sig" - http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23918

Overall the .40 caliber gives you energy and velocity, but more firepower than the typical .45 ACP.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
IF I go 9mm it will be 124gr +P Federal HST or ? IF I go .357S it will be 125gr Gold Dot most likely.

rescuecomm

You might want to check the shelves in the local stores where you plan to buy ammo. See what is in stock. I shot my CCW permit class with a guy who brought a S&W in 44 Special. It was a very nice revolver (an inherited firearm), but he had never bought cartridges for it. He had to rent a pistol to qualify with. The local wally worlds and sporting goods shops did have any 44 Special.

Bob

ff-medic

Banned
The local wally worlds and sporting goods shops did have any 44 Special.

Bob
My Local Wal-Mart has been in short supply of ammo since about the year 2003. But you can order tons of ammo from online stores and from magazines ( cheaper than dirt & sportsmanship guide ) and others. Other local gunstores in and around my locale are loaded with ammo.

My belief is that Wal-Mart as a whole elects not to sell ammo. The past news stories in the past three years of a ammo shortage is not totally correct, with maybe the exception of 223 and 308; due to the current war on terror.

I.... For some unexplained reason have gained weight unexpectedly. Up to 205 pounds from my normal weight of 175. Although the weight gain is unintentional, and 90 percent of my clothes do not fit anymore .....I am still going to try to climb the hills at my parents farm this year and do some shooting and camping.

One thing about unexpected and unintentional weight gain, is working out at the gym is making my upper arms larger and my shoulders and chest is getting some definition.

I am up to 205 pounds from 175 pounds and I have added three inches to my waist. I am 5'9 and my age is in the 40s. So I guess I am doing good........especially if I get " stuck only own" or seperated in an emergency huh. It's not like it has not happened before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.