Federal repeater locations

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Oh, I don't know about that. Depends on the agency and what their mission is.
Definitely, federal radio systems will strive to locate at federal installations, whether their own agency's or another. Issues of paperwork. Federal agencies with rural presence will locate at whatever site is most suitable, developing new sites only if there are no other decent options. There can be federal installations on non-federal land or vice-versa. I personally am familiar with a fair number of situations where a federal radio system is located in a non-federal facility located on federal land... or vice-vice-versa.
And some agencies have installed 100 foot telephone poles in the middle of a forrest with a small metal communications box with solar attached to house and power the repeater. Three locations I know of must have used ether a small tractor or a helicopter to install the pole as there are no roads leading to it. I found two locations while fighting a wildfire and the other one while I was hiking in the mountains.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
One of the FBI's north Texas repeaters came at the slip of the tongue by a wireless internet installer. Listen, listen and listen. (people, signals, interference). It also helps to be in a federally active city/region. My county has a VA hospital and an ICE jail facility with a USMS office. That's three federal agencies, so you would think tracking down their signals would be easy right? Oh, fwiw, the FBI repeater is on the Eiffel tower in Paris, TX.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Considering at least one of those alphabet agencies made a pretty good expansion of the number of repeater channels in use at many sites in the last 4 or 5 years - you would think you either have more to listen to OR less due to comms being spread out over multiple channels now.
AND
KevinC is dating himself (as am I) for remembering Bowen Smith Towers !!
It has only been a couple of years since we were shreading 20 years of stuff and found one of the frequency lists KevinC referred to ....

ecps92

One of our (group of us in New England) confirmed what we thought [RF/DF] was the site for the local $167 Surv guys, when the region had a long duration power failure and the back-up generators were running low. Local utility dispatched to "xyz name street, for a priority restoration, as the FBI has a radio at that site" - Hmmmm best confirmation evah :)
One of the FBI's north Texas repeaters came at the slip of the tongue by a wireless internet installer. Listen, listen and listen. (people, signals, interference). It also helps to be in a federally active city/region. My county has a VA hospital and an ICE jail facility with a USMS office. That's three federal agencies, so you would think tracking down their signals would be easy right? Oh, fwiw, the FBI repeater is on the Eiffel tower in Paris, TX.

spacellamaman

One of our (group of us in New England) confirmed what we thought [RF/DF] was the site for the local $167 Surv guys, when the region had a long duration power failure and the back-up generators were running low. Local utility dispatched to "xyz name street, for a priority restoration, as the FBI has a radio at that site" - Hmmmm best confirmation evah :)

Where would we be were it not for those lovely loose lips?

You know what I mean. Get your mind out of the gutter man.