Federal Way PD

dpm3

Over the past several days while I have been monitoring the Federal Way, Fife/Milton/Sumner/Bonney Lake and Tacoma police departments I failed to notice any transmissions from the Federal Way PD on the various talkgroups assigned to them on the KCERS system. I spent a few hours on the past 2 days monitoring Federal Way talkgroups exclusively and was unable to hear any transmissions! The RR Database doesn't have any info that suggests changes to the system or assigned talkgroups. Is anyone else noticing this? Reception of traffic on the other departments is fine so I don't suspect a problem with either of my radios (SDS-100 & TRX-1). If anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated. The public safety situation in the Federal Way is active enough that there must be some radio activity, so I hope someone can provide a solution or explanation.

T68

Premium Subscriber
I just fired up my PSR-500, and as of 1900 hrs tonight (Tuesday) I'm hearing traffic on both Federal Way Disp (29136) and Federal Way Admin. It sounds pretty normal.

B.

dpm3

What site are you listening on? I have been using McDonald Mountain for the past several months. I get a full range of bars on the signal strength indicator but perhaps this one does not now carry Federal Way.

freqseeker

What site are you listening on? I have been using McDonald Mountain for the past several months. I get a full range of bars on the signal strength indicator but perhaps this one does not now carry Federal Way.
That is probably your problem. You should use site 6 KC/ValCom simulcast to make sure you receive all FWPD traffic. McDonald may carry traffic from FW if a radio roams in that area.
There is enough crime in Federal Way to keep your scanners busy.

dpm3

I had set McDonald as my site of choice because Valcom had difficult reception -transmission was often staticy and intermittent. I now have the SDS-100 scanning both sites and the TRX-1 using multiple sites for all the various KCERS departments I might want to listen to. I have updated teh site frequencies for all departments and sites to be sure it is up to date. My current reception is now sporadic on the SDS-100 (again wiith static) and not receiving transmissions often at all on the TRX-1. My results a week or so ago were much better on the TRX-1. My location is in NE Tacoma on the North side of Indian Hill and wonder if the location might be impeding reception, although most other departments on KCERS don't seem to be affected. I will keep working at it but any insight or suggestions are welcome.

freqseeker

Officers and dispatchers are complaining about scratchy/poor signals. It happens with weather change especially.
Federal Way has always had pockets where the radios work poorly. The officers tell the dispatchers that the radios don't do well here (whatever location).
I have noticed over the years that some of the frequencies in the rotation don't work as well as others. A dispatcher could tell a unit poor copy and as the dispatcher un-keys a second or two later the same unit is clear on another frequency.
If you are having trouble with FWPD but you receive Kent or Renton PD clear on KC/ValCom site 6 that would tell me the subscriber units in FW are having issues.
I have been scanning this system since it was rolled out and determined site 6 works best here in the south end. I am west of Federal Way High School.
I would try not to scan multiple sites, this alone can make you miss traffic. The SDS100 has filter settings that may help. Indian hill as you know has a lot of transmitters that may be overloading your radios. GRE radios like your TRX have problems with front end overload. Uniden added the filters to the SDS line for the same reason.
As I type this I am hearing some scratchy transmissions on FWPD. I use a outside antenna and dedicate a Uniden BCD996T to just FW. When the dispatcher is scratchy I know I'm receiving poorly. One site 6 tower is east of Wild Waves, and another is in Kent at about 270th and Military road.
Dedicated 800mHz antenna helps. I use the old Radio Shack made by GRE and now made by Remtronix.
Enjoy the static as the replacement digital system is reported to be fully encrypted.

lnlaswell

Premium Subscriber
Shades of things to come?

While in town I've noticed slightly less scanner traffic.
This may help you out some. Non-priority calls, (those calls that occurred prior, or are not in progress such as thefts, burglaries, etc) are usually dispatched over MDT's. Therefore, you won't hear a thing. In-progress calls are usually dispatched over air so other officers know what is going on. As a general rule, most traffic stops are over air, but not all. It just depends on the officer doing the stop. I can hear Federal Way, so I know that they are still on the radios.
Hope this helps.