Feds Have Message for Michigan Boaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber

WASHINGTON (AP) - Boating season is approaching.

And the Bush administration wants to enlist the country's 80 million recreational boaters to help reduce the chances that a small boat could deliver a deadly weapon somewhere along the country's 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways.

A recent intelligence assessment obtained by The Associated Press says small boats are "likely to remain al-Qaida's weapon of choice in the maritime environment."

The United States has so far been spared this type of strike in its own waters. But terrorists have used small boats to attack in other countries.

Tomorrow, Homeland Security officials will announce a plan asking recreational boaters to look for and report suspicious behavior on the water.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=562e636f-c76e-4d4c-b93e-2f76492aec98&rss=785

Utah_Viper

GreatLakes said:
A recent intelligence assessment obtained by The Associated Press says small boats are "likely to remain al-Qaida's weapon of choice in the maritime environment."
Boats? not airplanes in a maritime environment?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Utah_Viper said:
Boats? not airplanes in a maritime environment?
I think they're implying the transportation of weapons and/or explosives...not the implementation of them.

With Selfridge ANGB on the water front, I don't think a hostile plane would accomplish it's goal. At least I hope not!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
95,000 miles of coastline?

Long Island Sound sector reporting in. About a dozen atomic attack subs and the coast guard auxillary have it all under control ;)

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I think they're implying the transportation of weapons and/or explosives...not the implementation of them.

With Selfridge ANGB on the water front, I don't think a hostile plane would accomplish it's goal. At least I hope not!

Michigan has always been a major smuggling point for contraband.

mikepdx

The Fed's message is directed to "the country's 80 million recreational boaters", not just MI boaters.
Yep. 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways in the US.

Where do I apply for a Homeland Security Grant?
My boat could use a complete modernization of it's electronics.

Last edited:

VA3QRM

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Boating season is approaching.

And the Bush administration wants to enlist the country's 80 million recreational boaters to help reduce the chances that a small boat could deliver a deadly weapon somewhere along the country's 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways.

The United States has so far been spared this type of strike in its own waters. But terrorists have used small boats to attack in other countries.

Tomorrow, Homeland Security officials will announce a plan asking recreational boaters to look for and report suspicious behavior on the water.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=562e636f-c76e-4d4c-b93e-2f76492aec98&rss=785
Does that apply for Gull Island?

car2back

Let me translate: "please call in and tie up the LOCAL police switchboard, because you've spotted anyone other than a white 'good ole' boy' at the lake, because we as the FEDERAL gov't have deemed it a threat to our the country." :roll:

car2back

ScanDaBands said:
where did that come from ???????? :confused:
You have no idea how many times we are told about a "suspicious" subject, and the only reason the reporting party can give us for them being suspicious is because they are of middle eastern descent. Fuel for the fire, my friend.

hoser147

mikepdx said:
The Fed's message is directed to "the country's 80 million recreational boaters", not just MI boaters.
Yep. 95,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways in the US.

Where do I apply for a Homeland Security Grant?
My boat could use a complete modernization of it's electronics.
Yep read it in the local paper last nite, Mike is right it is the 80m + boaters in the US. The papers put their little spiin on it to make it sound like local boaters should keep an eye out for suspicious activities.............Hoser

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Close but no cigar, that's the Iowa. THIS is the New Jersey!

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7_New_Jersey_Aus_pic.jpg

whoops! Sorry about that mr.detail :wink: :lol: We dont want the Iowa, she only has 8 16" guns.

IIRC the Iowa has the least mileage/hours out of all of the 4 Iowa class BBs, and is the one earmarked for refit/return if the need would ever arise. (unlikely, but stranger things have happend like re-activating the BBs 3 times already. These things just ooze patriotisim and the public loves them.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mister Detail? I have a detail for YOU mister, here's a bucket and mop and you know what to do with them! (;->)

"These things just ooze patriotism and the public loves them."

They'd love old BB62 a whole lot more if some stupid didn't put her in CAMDEN! We have other deep water ports a little harder to get to but at least you'll get out alive!

Patriotic like the news story I suppose, as if boaters don't already report everything under the sun and drive the Coast Guard crazy. They don't call this place "the beach" for nothing and if you don't believe me come on down the shore and bring your scanner with you. Oh don't forget to being money, LOTS OF MONEY, that's what we live for! Now go home, there's people waiting in line behind you.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Mister Detail? I have a detail for YOU mister, here's a bucket and mop and you know what to do with them! (;->)

"These things just ooze patriotism and the public loves them."

They'd love old BB62 a whole lot more if some stupid didn't put her in CAMDEN! We have other deep water ports a little harder to get to but at least you'll get out alive!

Patriotic like the news story I suppose, as if boaters don't already report everything under the sun and drive the Coast Guard crazy. They don't call this place "the beach" for nothing and if you don't believe me come on down the shore and bring your scanner with you. Oh don't forget to being money, LOTS OF MONEY, that's what we live for! Now go home, there's people waiting in line behind you.
:lol: I would be cranky too if I lived in NJ. We have plenty of boater shenanigans of our own on the sound.:) Actually most of the real idiots are on the three major CT rivers. Thankfully they are too stupid to find the ocean. Speaking of money, some newly coined dope last year was out showing off for his woman (probly got her in NJ ;) ) in his new Ciggarette boat. Ended up mowing a small sailboat and 18' in half. 2 goners.:evil:

I've said it before, the view is better looking away from the water anyways.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.