Feed Detail Page..News Feed and Alerts vs Status Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
After reading all the Radio Reference criteria for being a feed provider, I believe there is a little confusion on the usage of the feed status page between "News Feed and Alerts" and "Status Message". Though these areas are clearly marked as what is to be entered. Many users are using the "News Feed and Alerts" as a glorified "Status Message" area for their feed especially if its "OFF LINE or "other" technical problem.
Perhaps it is "News" worthy event. Especially when seeing the bold "RED" type in ones feed to announce to the world there is a problem.
Please don't get me wrong here I am not trying to be picky but am I missing something:confused:?

Thanks

hoser147

Sounds like your right on target, The News and Feed Alerts is for Priority Alerts and is sent to the Alert Category, which makes it easier for the listener base to find and listen in on such events. The Status is for feed downtime notification to your local listeners and should not be mixed in with the alerts..

truckie36

Feed Provider
Is there any way to add a location column like the one on the to 50 page so we can easily see what state the feed alert is from?

Danny101641

Feed Provider
I totally agree with the way its set up right now, but i would like to see maybe a way to set an alert so that it can expire at a certain time similar to the way that the status is set up. In most cases alerts are around 2 hours long, but for weather alerts and prolonged events they are usually over 2 hours long. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Alerts box for weather alerts also, or is it just for short term events?

Danny brings up an interesting point. Since weather related events tend to last longer than a structure fire or police chase, what if the weather alerts were to have a longer expiration time?

landonjensen

Danny brings up an interesting point. Since weather related events tend to last longer than a structure fire or police chase, what if the weather alerts were to have a longer expiration time?

How about if you could select the type of "Breaking News" alert so it would have a set time frame?

So you could select Structure/House Fire and it would show up for 2 hours as a STR fire in alerts... or if it was weather it would show up as WEATHER for say 12+ hours...

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I think, that with the IPN integration now, that should be the landing page for any of there incident pages that go out, that include a particular county that has a feed. Atleast then we'd get some proper alerts posted.

I've noticed some of the status messages that have been discussed here too.

This whole integration thing seems like a nice idea with them, however I just put out a page for a 1 Alarm conf. fire, and I dont' see it on the county page or the feed page.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Weather alerts is not an actual alert and we will begin enforcing this more than we have. However, skywarn feeds posting weather related info is permitted or an event occurring because of the weather is also allowed. But not actual weather alerts themselves. Remember its got to be an event occurring on YOUR feed not a weather forecast. Anyone can go to a media site and see its a winter storm warning.

Last edited:
One idea would be using a drop down with the accepted alerting criteria instead of having it be a free form section where people type in the alert. This would help to avoid the bogus messages that some people enter.

SCPD

QRT
I think, that with the IPN integration now, that should be the landing page for any of there incident pages that go out, that include a particular county that has a feed. At least then we'd get some proper alerts posted.

As to IPN it's a good start. However at least in my home county IPN alerts have centered only around the largest city. It is well understood that city would have the most incidents. We had a major 3 alarm fire a few days ago in my home town (also it's 2nd largest city in the county) though meeting IPN criteria for "non delay" broad cast. Not a peep or alert. I am not a member of IPN (just don't have the time). So I posted this News worthy event / alert for my own feed! therefore...

One idea would be using a drop down with the accepted alerting criteria instead of having it be a free form section where people type in the alert. This would help to avoid the bogus messages that some people enter.

The idea of having a drop down menu would cut back on "bogus" messages however it would limit or eliminate the feed provider of updating a alert especially if IBN misses or fails to carry the event.

One solution perhaps is to develop a primary drop down menu with the provision of allowing the feed provider to add limited details.

My 25 cents worth and thanks for reading. :cool:

richtidd

Database Admin
I totally agree with the way its set up right now, but i would like to see maybe a way to set an alert so that it can expire at a certain time similar to the way that the status is set up. In most cases alerts are around 2 hours long, but for weather alerts and prolonged events they are usually over 2 hours long. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Alerts box for weather alerts also, or is it just for short term events?

All messages in the News and Alert box have a 2hr time limit no mater what the alert message is. The feed owner can "feed the meter" by pressing "Change" in the feed owners page to extend the time. This recycles the message timer so the message will stay up another 2hrs.

The status message field has no time out timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.