Feed line run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day Folks,

Not sure how to explain this, but here it goes. I have a several antennas (vertical for ham, 2 discones for scanners, and a sloper for shortwave) in my back yard. I want to run the feed lines into the basement since there is a panel where the cable t.v comes in, and run it up to the attic, then into my radio room, which is located on the 2nd floor. Will this work?

If more information is needed, please let me know, and thanks in advance.

LtDoc

Can you do it that way? Yes. The thing to keep in mind is the length of the run and the losses per 100 feet for the particular frequencies involved. Keeping that run length to the minimum is a very good idea, can't say how practical it might be though. Depending on the frequency of use, and the length, take a look at a common coax loss table. That'll give you an idea of what particular size/type cable would be 'best' for your application. And then you 'balance' that with the cost of that cable.
Also keep in mind that the 'larger' the cable the more difficult it is to thread through where it has to go. Unless that 'difficulty' get's really huge, I don't think I'd let the particular size of the cable be much of a hindrance. The larger sizes and the stiffer types of coax will also take a bit more length than you may have figured on, larger bends, etc.
The only specific advice I'd offer is to stick with name brand manufacturers. (That's where the 'cheaper' stuff comes from anyway, the name is changed for the distributor, and the quality isn't necessarily the same as the name brand's.)
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.