Feed Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
I have two issues regarding my scanner feed.

1 - As I have posted previously, the scanner just disconnects without any indication given on my host computer. I get an email (thankfully) stating that I am 'offline' and then I have to go restart the software.

2 - Is there any way to permanently link to the stream? The links go dead in what seems to be 24 hours. My FD has a website and I like the RR service, so I'd prefer to just link directly to the stream without forcing listeners to have to find my stream out of a list. Right now I have to link to the 'County' page, then rely on listens to pick my stream and listen.

Thanks to anyone who can help with either of these issues!

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
2 - Is there any way to permanently link to the stream? The links go dead in what seems to be 24 hours. My FD has a website and I like the RR service, so I'd prefer to just link directly to the stream without forcing listeners to have to find my stream out of a list. Right now I have to link to the 'County' page, then rely on listens to pick my stream and listen.

Thanks to anyone who can help with either of these issues!

I'm having the same problem as stated above. Any help with this would be great!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have two issues regarding my scanner feed.

1 - As I have posted previously, the scanner just disconnects without any indication given on my host computer. I get an email (thankfully) stating that I am 'offline' and then I have to go restart the software.

Are you using the Oddcast software that we provided you? When the feed disconnects, are you seeing an error message? What are you seeing in the software?

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
Lindsay,

Is there not a way to pull up the feeds directly from my site without the listener having to go to another site as was done in the past with Scan America?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Matt, there is - but we use static URLs only for private feeds and other very special circumstances (typically folks are reimbursing us for the costs for private feeds - i.e. they are paying us to host their stream).

Understand that we've got to recoup our infrastructure costs through advertising and other components. If we let all feed providers just link directly to the streams then we completely take that out of the equation.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
Matt, there is - but we use static URLs only for private feeds and other very special circumstances (typically folks are reimbursing us for the costs for private feeds - i.e. they are paying us to host their stream).

Understand that we've got to recoup our infrastructure costs through advertising and other components. If we let all feed providers just link directly to the streams then we completely take that out of the equation.

I don't have a problem paying as I did in the past with Scan America. I don't want to keep RR out of the equation either as I do have a large image at the bottom of my site with your logo and it links to the Audio Page, but I don't want listeners who have relied on my site for the past three years to have to travel far to listen to the feed either. If you want to email me with how much and how to, shoot me an email at mtomek(@)memphisfire.net. Thanks.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
Just send your members to the additional feed details link for your feed - it will take them right to the feed page without having to navigate:

Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners

Great, I don't know why I didn't consider that. Sometimes it takes someone else just suggesting the obvious! :) I understand why we can't link directly, you address that above. This should do just fine.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
Are you using the Oddcast software that we provided you? When the feed disconnects, are you seeing an error message? What are you seeing in the software?

Yes, I am using the Oddcast software provided by RR. Unfortunately this morning I was already at work when I received the message that my feed disconnected. I will check Oddcast this evening. What has happened recently (last two days) is that when the feed is lost, my Oddcast does not display an error and claims that the feed is still connected. I am made aware of the lost connection only through the email notification. I think what's best is that I check the Oddcast again this evening to make sure this is in fact the same problem and I will reply back on this thread.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
Ok, this time there was an exception error originating from Windows forcing the Oddcast software to shutdown. Restarting the program brings the feed back up. I will keep you posted if it becomes commonplace or if the previous problem returns.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
OK, it seems that the "sudden, unexplained disconnect" issue has given way to the fatal error on the part of Windows. The error is listed as originating with the Oddcast .dll file and happens daily. Unless someone knows something I don't, I am assuming this is the fault of my POS computer I am using for the feed. I'll format and reinstall and we'll see where that gets me.

Status
Not open for further replies.