Feed Provider Premium Status: Emergency circumstance consideration for extended database access time

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
I am a feed provider beacuse it's an enjoyable part of the radio hobby, because I like to provide my community greater access to public safety information, and because I love that sweet sweet premium RadioReference access. That said, this past weekend I, like so many others, fell victim to power outage due to the storms that have been happening all over the country. This power loss obviously knocked out the computer that runs both of my Broadcastify feeds.

Pursuant to the power loss, I dug up an older scanner, fired up the programming software on my laptop, and attempted to import some relevant data from the database (over cellphone hotspot internet) so that I could fill this extra scanner with usable freqs and hand it off to someone else who was also suffering from the power outage. I quickly discovered that apparently as soon as your feed goes down, so does the premium database access.

My question is, has there ever been a consideration to allow those with feed-provider-based premium subscriptions some measure of extended access time after a feed goes offline? (I suppose this could be for maintenance or due to emergency circumstances) Assuming that most of the time, when feeds go down, more often than not it's probably temporary. The amount of time that a feed provider could still keep premium access the database after the feed going down is certainly something to be discussed, especially considering the amount of time some people have been without power now. I definitely understand that the premium access is a privilege extended to those who opt to contribute to the community as feed providers, and I do not intend for this post to sound like it's coming from any sense of entitlement or anything.

This is simply an observation that came out of necessity in a real-world situation, so it seemed prudent to bring it up. Thanks to all for all that you do. :)

Reconrider

You have 6 hours from the time the feed goes offline on the rr/broadcastify servers.

If it's changed, then I haven't seen that.

Reconrider

When I lost power here in CT, I used my hotspot and put my laptop on wifi for long enough just to start and let broadcastify know i was streaming and turn it off. It gave me 6 hours to update my scanner quickly with new stuff for the area I moved to for that week(went to my friends where I never had my scanner programmed for)

Status
Not open for further replies.