Feed Providers Soliciting for Donations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I came across this.
I was just wondering if feed providers are permitted to solicit for donations to keep their feeds on RadioReference? What are the procedures and policies, if any? It sure would help with the electric/cable costs.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't see the problem, in fact it should be encouraged.
Bandwidth is metered on many ISPs. Running a feed uses several GB's of upstream a month. This equals money.

A computer must be left on 24/7 out of power save, as well as a scanner. Electricity isn't free. The average desktop PC (not including the monitor) with a 250watt power supply costs anywhere from $165-240 a year to operate so says Energy Star, the US EPA- if left on continuously.

The scanner to provide the audio costs money- $99 for a basic analog only conventional model to upwards of $500 for a digital scanner.

If you enjoy listening to someone's feed on a regular basis, than you SHOULD contribute to keep it going.

Nothing in life is free.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It is not a problem, I just never saw it before, nor remembered reading about it in RR, and am interested in how to do this. Also I provide a feed and don't appreciate the lecture.
Why, BTW, does every question have to be a "problem"?

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Why, BTW, does every question have to be a "problem"?

Because this is an Internet forum :)

At least this didn't get as worked up as the "Indiana Breaking News" thread used to LOL! You would see 20+ responses if they "thought" an address was posted wrong.

It is not a problem, I just never saw it before, nor remembered reading about it in RR, and am interested in how to do this.

Easiest way is to sigh up for a Pay-Pal account.

Pay-Pal will provide you with the HTML to put on your site for a "donation button" that will take the donor right to Pay-Pal. The form will already be filled out for them to pay you. Just like when paying for an E-bay purchase.

I know there are horror stories about Pay-Pal taking or not releasing peoples money. But these always are related to some E-bay item payment dispute.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Indiana

Because this is an Internet forum :)

At least this didn't get as worked up as the "Indiana Breaking News" thread used to LOL! You would see 20+ responses if they "thought" an address was posted wrong.

Indiana has breaking news? What corn worms? lol

K

kb0nly

I had a donate button on my website for the longest time along with the feeds. I got a few donations the first year it was on there, and nothing after that. It did help pay for an antenna and put the rest towards some feedline, which all went to the scanner feed, so the donations were put to good use!

If you do so, just remember to clearly word it that it is a donation, not a subcription or guarantee of service in any shape or form. This day and age one can never be too careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.