feed stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwrice

Feed Provider
I am having intermittent problems with my feed going down. I think there may be more than one reason. The feed may run for many days or stop within 12 hours.

Toshiba laptop, 1.5 GB ram, Win XP. Verizon DSL, wifi.

PRO-2035 using line out audio.

I think I have the latest version of Scannercast - just downloaded 2 weeks ago(?). I did not download .net figuring if I had it the program would work, if not it wouldn't.

I am running AVG, Zonealarm, spybot. I don't have other software running.

I am not home right now to see what it's done this time.

Here is what I find when I go to the computer:

a) The computer is off or asleep which it should not be if I have set all the power settings set properly. The battery is still good for 30 minutes and the cord seems firmly plugged in.

b) Everything looks like it is running, scannercast says it is broadcasting, network connection says it is connected.

I have found that if the computer loses it's network connection and then reconnects (b) will happen.

The feed in question is for St. Joseph County Michigan.

73 de jon - kc8fmr

jonwrice

Feed Provider
I should have made it clearer that I find either a) or b) but not both.

a) The computer is off or asleep which it should not be if I have set all the power settings set properly. The battery is still good for 30 minutes and the cord seems firmly plugged in.

b) Everything looks like it is running, scannercast says it is broadcasting, network connection says it is connected.

I have found that if the computer loses it's network connection and then reconnects (b) will happen.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I should have made it clearer that I find either a) or b) but not both.

a) Check the Power Options property sheet to ensure that the hard disks and system standby are set to Never turn off. Be sure you save the settings to a uniquely named scheme, as XP had a problem saving the changed settings to an existing power scheme; I don't know if they even fixed that. Also check the BIOS settings to see if there is some power-down function that is being triggered.

b) Stress test the battery. They bake after a while of continuous use and stop holding a charge. Maybe it really can't run that machine for 30 minutes and you're getting a.c. power glitches that are fritzing out the machine, even though the displays indicate that it is streaming normally.

Run Windows Task Manager with the Processes tab selected. Watch for random weirdness there when the machine is acting up.

Caboosey

Also suggest to have updated drivers, chipset drivers, and flash your BIOS to the latest. Also check your settings of if you close the screen lid, is it set to shut down or to do nothing.

I have a Toshiba laptop as well, I had this happen once or twice. I later found out it was due to over heating. Be sure to provide good air flow to the laptop. Probably be best to have a desktop setup to broadcast the feed.

I have my server set to auto turn on every midnight if off and to turn on after a power loss.

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I have my server set to auto turn on every midnight if off and to turn on after a power loss.

That is an excellent idea, as well. I have some Dell GX240 machines that were pulled from service that I use for feeds and their BIOS provides for this feature.

That way, if the unattended machine does somehow get turned off, it will turn itself back on automagically. That might save you a trip to the feed site.

Status
Not open for further replies.