Feed Volume Feedback needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I need your help as I ran into members complaining they cannot hear it. The volume is at 7. If i make it and higher the feed will obviously be too loud even at the lowest setting. I can hear it very well 10/10.

Manchester Police

rbm

If you have a smartphone, try listening to iheartradio or some other audio source and adjust your feed to be equal to it. (as close as possible)

Many people listen to other things while they're listening to your feed.

If your feed varies (up OR down) from other things they'll likely listen to, it's annoying to them.
and .....................
It helps to use headphone when comparing volume levels.

Rich

NFR85

If you have a smartphone, try listening to iheartradio or some other audio source and adjust your feed to be equal to it. (as close as possible)

Many people listen to other things while they're listening to your feed.

If your feed varies (up OR down) from other things they'll likely listen to, it's annoying to them.
and .....................
It helps to use headphone when comparing volume levels.

Rich

I think that's the problem is the smartphone but the problem is smartphones are not the greatest when it comes to audio. Some maybe good while others are distorted. I think I had 3 complaints and was kinda surprised because I'm listening via computer and the audio is crisp. I just listened to it on my Samsung S5 and was very clear. I had the volume on the low end and still was able to make it out.

rbm

I think that's the problem is the smartphone but the problem is smartphones are not the greatest when it comes to audio. Some maybe good while others are distorted. I think I had 3 complaints and was kinda surprised because I'm listening via computer and the audio is crisp. I just listened to it on my Samsung S5 and was very clear. I had the volume on the low end and still was able to make it out.

You can try listening to my feed at the link on the top of my post for a comparison.

I spent a lot of time getting it balanced and in over 10 years I've never had a complaint.
(I hope it stays that way. ;) )

When I'm on out mowing the lawn, I'm listening to iheartradio and three of my scanner feeds at the same time.
(One on Broadcastify and two private feeds)

They're all close enough to the same level that I can shift my focus to any one of them when something is happening.

Rich

Last edited:

NFR85

You can try listening to my feed at the link on the top of my post for a comparison.

I spent a lot of time getting it balanced and in over 10 years I've never had a complaint.
(I hope it stays that way. ;) )

When I'm on out mowing the lawn, I'm listening to iheartradio and three of my scanner feeds at the same time.
(One on Broadcastify and two private feeds)

They're all close enough to the same level that I can shift my focus to any one of them when something is happening.

Rich

Listen on Iheart? or PC? and i'm not that techy when it comes to making the levels the same as the phone

rbm

You can listen on your pc by clicking on the 'Audio Feed Provider' link at the top of my post.

I've tried listening to a lot of feeds over the years that were very hard to hear.
I would have to turn my volume up so much that everything else was far too loud.
Others were far too loud and distorted.

It takes some time to find the right balance.

You should strive to keep your feed level at a point that it's easy to hear at normal volume levels but not so loud as to be annoying.

My feed is in the top 50, most hours, of most days. And feedback from my listeners has been very positive.

Rich

By the way, there are some free digital level meters that you can install.
I've used this one a few times with good results.

Digital Level Meter
Audio Level Meter

rbm

I compared your feed to mine, and they seem to be pretty close.

Your feed sounds better than a lot I've listened to. ;)

Rich

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Sounds fine to me too on my Sennheiser HD410SL headphones via my PC.

I've used the Darkwood meter and it's good; but what I really like now is the Orban Loudness Meter: ORBAN Loudness Meter

I worked for a long time to get the balance correct on my feed, 800 MHz P25 PD on the left and VHF analog FD on the right; the Orban meter made it much easier.

My problem is that the PD dispatch sometimes comes over the air distorted depending on the dispatcher and/or console they're using, and the FD side comes over the air quiet as a mouse from dispatch to booming and distorted from some apparatus.

I'm hoping this will help equalize the volume levels: Automatic audio leveling circuit

Obviously it won't help with signals that are already distorted coming over the air.

Oh, and here's another trick; download an archive mp3 file from your feed and open it with Audacity. You'll visually see the audio waveform and can immediately tell if it's clipping or too quiet.

Sorry I'm rambling . . . bottom line is your feed sounds fine!

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
Not sure what the issue is or was, but I can hear it very clear with out any problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.