Feedback on frequency hunting method

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithinRafael

Premium Subscriber
Hello there!

I currently have a BCD396XT and as an experiment to further my understanding of the device, I'm trying to pick up my apartment bldg maintenance crew chatter.

From my readings and observations so far, I think I'm dealing with a simplex configuration -- that is, these guys run around with little handhelds with no supporting infrastructure. I believe this means I'm on the hunt for a single shared frequency. I don't believe this freq. is registered anywhere that I can look up.

I read over the Easier manual and I think the quickest way to find these guys is to enable Close Call (with hit storage) and just be in the vicinity during active times. Does that sound reasonable over general frequency scanning? It would be nice to limit CC to a range of frequencies but I'm still reading up on that.

Anyway, just looking for a head nod or a smack over the head on this one. Back to reading!

wtp

looks good

small hand held so maybe 150 or 450/460 range
since you know about store remember that you can set and forget, let it work all day if you are out
maybe try a larger antenna as in a mobile near the window
good luck hunting
i would put my money on 467 range.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Close Call on the BCD396XT is pretty amazing, it picks up everything from 2-Watt HTs a 1/2 mile away to FM broadcast stations 3 miles away. If building maintenance is using a two-way radio, Close Call on the BCD396XT will find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.