Feedback requested on a theoretical design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

That could be a good marketing opportunity when it happens, offer a BC345 or similar with NXDN only, no P25 or DMR enabled initially as a railfan package.
Take an already developed package 125AT is a obvious choice( even something like SRC30) and do this for around $150. I agree you would have a winner. There are a lot of RR guys who just want a RR scanner. BC225RRNX or whatever.

durango5550

Booger D.
Take an already developed package 125AT is a obvious choice( even something like SRC30) and do this for around $150. I agree you would have a winner. There are a lot of RR guys who just want a RR scanner. BC225RRNX or whatever.
BC225FOAMERXLT :)

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The 125 is an analog scanner...so no it won't do NXDN. But removing P25 and making it an option and instead shipping with NXDN is entirely possible for a 345.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I would personally prefer something like the 996 that could handle LSM but retain its Analog performance, a lot of lessons to be learned from here on RR on what works and what doesn't

redbeard

Database Admin
I would personally prefer something like the 996 that could handle LSM but retain its Analog performance, a lot of lessons to be learned from here on RR on what works and what doesn't
A lot of non-trunked P25 simulcast where you are?

redbeard

Database Admin
I am a Trucker, I listen to EVERYTHING across all the lower 48, I do have my favorite areas
Fair enough but it was a loaded question because simulcast conventional P25 has to be very few and far between to warrant making a special model without trunking yet compatible with simulcast digital...

Technically speaking CQPSK LSM modulation may not even be used outside of P25 trunking. I'm not 100% on that though since there are zero simulcast P25 systems anywhere within multiple states of me.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Fair enough but it was a loaded question because simulcast conventional P25 has to be very few and far between to warrant making a special model without trunking yet compatible with simulcast digital...

Technically speaking CQPSK LSM modulation may not even be used outside of P25 trunking. I'm not 100% on that though since there are zero simulcast P25 systems anywhere within multiple states of me.
I totally agree, My home system of Orange County/Orlando is a huge LSM issue, another one is Columbus Ohio, but no I think most Convention if they are not simulcast don't really need CQPSK

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
LSM/QPSK modulation is available for use with conventional P25 simulcast. It might not be all that common, but it is indeed a valid option.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
GTR how critical would it be not to receive a conventional P25 signal with CQPSK, is there any disadvantage? its my understanding the SDS series doesn't really differentiate between CQPSK and C4FM

redbeard

Database Admin
I have a 2 site P25 Non-Trunked VHF Law Simulcast Site in Southwest Ky. To me I have trouble from time to time on my 996p2's and my SDS's work fine.
OK good to know such a thing exists out there, but my original statement stands. It doesn't exist in appreciable numbers to justify a special scanner model.

redbeard

Database Admin
There are more than you think most people think Police Radios are CB's still to this day.
You have members here that have been here as long as I have that do not know the difference between SIMULCAST and MULTICAST.
Well I certainly know the difference, enough so to know that there is very little conventional digital simulcast vs trunking digital simulcast. What people think is irrelevant, it's what Uniden thinks will make them money that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.