Feeding Unitrunker

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decide what type of radio to use to feed Unitrunker to monitor Moto SmartZone. I have 3 choices: 1. an SDR device, 2. one of the suggested scanners that support CC streaming output (like PSR-800), or 3. a regular scanner with discrimintator tap. I don't know the pros and cons for each. I have a few unused scanners that are tapped already, so that is easy. I have a USB SDR that gave me fits with drivers and virtual audio cables (it is now safely kept in a zip lock bag where it can't hurt anyone). I don't have one of the CC streaming RS/GRE scanners, but I could get one if there are advantages of using it over the other options.

Thanks

Last edited:

Reconrider

Trx-1 or Sds100
Feed Provider
Pick up an rtl sdr. Cheap and easy to use. If you have the antenna already, but just the single from amazon and get it in two days with prime shipping.
I just ordered myself a few more because the price is good

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Are you looking to just monitor the control channel and watch the activity? Or are you wanting to actually follow the system with voice? If you just want to monitor the system then any old SDR should work just fine for that. Plug it in, set it up... done. If you want to voice follow that gets a little more involved. You mentioned a tapped radio as well... If you have an old analog scanner just kicking around, by all means use that too. They work great for control channel monitoring but obviously can't be controlled for voice following.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decide what type of radio to use to feed Unitrunker
Where can I get a newer version of Unitrunker than my 1.0.33? I know that version 2 has been out since 2018 but I cannot find anything newer. Thanks