Feeds keep dying - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatc7402

I have a strange problem. I listen to 5 fire depts at the same time by using multiple
instances of WinAmp. I obtain the url to connect to by saving the link address
from the main different states 'listen' pages. This has worked flawlessly for years.

But lately the feeds connect but then play and then die after 20 seconds to 2 hours
of playing. At first I thought it might be WinAmp causing the problem. So I reinstalled
WinAmp. No change in the issue. I started testing with both WMP and VLC players.
Same issue ... stream for a variable amout of time and then just cease streaming.

I am running Win8.

I am trying to get a clue as to whether the issue is on my system somehow or
is it farther 'upstream'. How can I determine this?

eatc7402

eatc7402

Thanks for the info but I dont see my problem as an outage issue. My problem has been
persisting daily since 3/19/14 during and persistently for all hours of the day all day.

It may be 'easy' to dismiss this issue as an outage...but my over 50 years in
computer science does not totally agree.

eatc7402

LiquidPandora

Thanks for the info but I dont see my problem as an outage issue. My problem has been
persisting daily since 3/19/14 during and persistently for all hours of the day all day.

It may be 'easy' to dismiss this issue as an outage...but my over 50 years in
computer science does not totally agree.

eatc7402
All kinds of people want to go live.. but once they understand the cost, and how they have to set it and pretty much forget it.. they don't want to play very long... and thats a fact... Same thing back in the day of the BBS'S/// Your computer was locked into one thing... and I remember being booted a Bazillion times the SYSOP wanted to play with his computer....

Your asking about a Cash Cow Project... think.

eatc7402

"All kinds of people want to go live.. but once they understand the cost, and how they have to set it and pretty much forget it.. they don't want to play very long... and thats a fact... Same thing back in the day of the BBS'S/// Your computer was locked into one thing... and I remember being booted a Bazillion times the SYSOP wanted to play with his computer...."
===================================

I fail to see or understand such a reply to the technical question of why is a stream not streaming?

Is it 'me' or them'.
As a Premium member I pay my fare share like any other who desires continuous feeds, as advertised.

When I have a technically reasonable and working solution situation that for unknown reasons
ceases to operate, and I ask a reasonable question AFTER doing logical troubleshooting on
'my' end I fail to understand what some philosophical answer that provide NO technical solution
towards the solution implies.

I'm no 'fly-by-night' newbie. I've been writing code since I used a Bendix G-15 vacuum tube
computer in 1972 with paper tape coding machine language. I've been a university professor,
and a licensed ham operator 54 years. I've been a firefighter all my life since age 18. I spent
25 years as a computer engineer for one of the top major corporations in the USA. I am
the webmaster and sole programmer for a major firefighter web sites in the USA.

I've already been down the bumpy computing road long before transistors were even
invented. Have You? I doubt it.

Have a little human respect before supplying your alledged implications 'getting somethng
for nothing'. I;ve already paid my dues, have you?

eatc7402

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
In other threads, it's been suggested to run some sort of continuous traceroute utility and to check the results when a dropout occurs.

eatc7402

Thanks, an excellent suggestion. I'll obtain several traceroute utilities and report back the results.

eatc7402

eatc7402

I downloaded and installed Visual Route 2010 for continuous route treacing.I then traced both
http://relay.radioreference.com:80/il_chicago_fire2 and http://relay.radioreference.com:80/mi_detroit_fire.

Both sites connected properly and showed complete connections at the start. This would agree
with my WinAmp player that was successfully streaming the file. During the first test the
Chicago fire stream continued data for over an hour. Then it appears from the tool that
streaming data ceased, and also the RR site stop pinging.

It was unclear to though (I'm new to the tracer) if the reason data ceased was at the RR site,
or somewhere in between (there were 13 hops in the connection). But the data DID stop, for
whatever the reason is.

I'm not sure I learned much except that the ceasing of the data appears not to caused
by my site and is simply responding to the data it is or in not receiving.

But the 'problem' continues. If other experts with the VisualRoute 2010 tool have any
other tests to run I would be pleased to do it.

eatc7402

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think its an issue on the server side.
I have 2 computers (1 work 1 home) that provide 6 feeds.
The home computer provides 5 feeds while the work provides 1 feed.
Now the home computer with the 5 feeds is dedicated. I have come across instances where people will complain about random disconnects. The only way to fix it is for me to shut down the feed and restart it.
Now none of the other feeds are affected. By this logic alone i have to believe its not on my end but rather on the end once the server gets it.
9 times out of 10 any time a problem is reported on one of my feeds its only 1 or maybe 2 feeds but not all of them.
I have a couple of feeds that generally have 20-40 followers constantly on it.
Anytime i look and the number is 5 or less i know i have a feed issue. Sure enough ill use my phone (android with Scanner Radio paid app) and it will either connect then within a few minutes disconnect me OR it will show as offline.
But again, the other feeds coming from the same source computer are all running fine.
What i might suggest is asking the feed provider to stop the feed. Close the app down that provides it. Restart it and see if that fixes it. That usually works for me.
Worst case scenario i ill stop all feeds and reboot the computer just to fix that one problem feed.
I use a 6 port USB hub with 5 usb audio adapters and 5 instances of ScannerCast running. One for each feed.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
This happens for all the feeds you stream through WinAmp correct?

If the answer is yes, and since you are running Windows 8 have you looked at power settings? Just an idea because it almost sounds like the computer is going to sleep which in turn kills the ethernet card. Maybe see if the power settings are set to put the computer to sleep after X amount of time which Microsoft is known to do by default and also see if your 'Wake on LAN" is turned on or that the ethernet card is always on. Just an idea and something you can check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.