FEMA COML course

Status
Not open for further replies.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone taken the FEMA COML (communications leadership) course? It is a live three-day course that provides information on how to oversee radio comms at hazardous events involving multiple jurisdictions. It's never been clear to me who the class is actually designed for, and FEMA's online information isn't very helpful. There will be a COML class in Connecticut in April of 2018. Prerequisites are the typical list of free online NIMS and ICS classes. This sounds like something I'd like to take, but I wonder if you have to be sponsored by an agency or public safety group to enroll.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's directed at large agencies, county, state, federal types.
It's part of the overall Incident Command structure, so any agency/entity that utilizes IC and is large enough to have multiple agencies responding would benefit.

canav844

If you're not in public safety radio, and interested in the amateur radio side of things, there's the AUXCOM class targeted to Hams, that I'm told covers the same concepts that I gathered from the COML course. I believe AUXCOM is an ARRL class.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
AUXCOMM is a DHS Office of Emergency Communications course, not ARRL.

It's a two-day course, typically offered on weekends. It teaches how to use ICS forms, how to assemble amateur radio volunteers to support an event, and general philosophies of amateur radio auxiliary communications.

I have taken an AUXCOMM course, but I have not taken the COM-L course. My assumption is that COM-L goes into a lot more depth than AUXCOMM does.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I have taken both, they are very good classes, COML is geared for Public Safety and AUXCOM to amateur, but both very good and cover a lot of the same stuff.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I took the COML course back in 2006, I think it was. I said "the COML course" but perhaps I should say "a COML course." I'm sure a lot of things have changed since then. Anyway, it was a good class. Back then, I believe they also required a flock of NIMS classes as prerequisites.

ecps92

This might help you out in understanding
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/comlbrochure07_19_2011_0.pdf

Are you in Public Safety ?
If so, I would contact your SWIC to chat about it more.

Yes... Generally the DHS COML training is geared toward Public Safety personnel

A Very interesting training for those who do Radio work and Frequency Coordination

Has anyone taken the FEMA COML (communications leadership) course? It is a live three-day course that provides information on how to oversee radio comms at hazardous events involving multiple jurisdictions. It's never been clear to me who the class is actually designed for, and FEMA's online information isn't very helpful. There will be a COML class in Connecticut in April of 2018. Prerequisites are the typical list of free online NIMS and ICS classes. This sounds like something I'd like to take, but I wonder if you have to be sponsored by an agency or public safety group to enroll.

COML is geared to organizing communications at an event that will be large and cover several days and multiple agencies. Unless you are already involved with working multi-agency events you may not receive much benefit from the course. If your group follows the ICS structure then you will have a better feel how a COML would fit into the overall picture.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There is also a COM-T course that FEMA offers which goes into the technical aspects of setting up communications in a disaster.

COM-L is primarily geared towards comm system administrators.

COM-T is primarily geared towards comm system technicians.

AUXCOMM is primarily geared towards amateur radio operators.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
If you aren't already a functioning COMT then you will be severely disappointed in the COML class. If you are a functioning COMT, prepare to be even more disappointed in the current COML class.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
I am a public safety telecommunicator, but I think AUXCOM is probably a better choice. Thanks for the input, everyone.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you meet the qualifications, why not take both (if they'll let you)? It can't help but be beneficial.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The COM-L course is great and I completed mine years ago (along with completing the task book) and certificated on the State list.

Biggest issues for those who complete the classroom setting is the ability to complete the task books, if they aren't in the communications profession, as there typically isn't enough events that require outside assistance where someone can shadow the assigned COM-L and then get their books signed off.

I took both COL and COMT. The class is half the process, you need to get your task book signed off in
order to get certified. I only deploy on disasters every 3 or 4 years so I do not have any tasks signed off,
that's why I have trainee in my signature.

COMT was fun, lots of hands on, it's main thrust is technical and gateways, the COML is more administrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.