FEMA paid $1 billion in phony claims...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
datainmotion said:
Sounds like they should have an accountant on the respose team.
:lol: Maybe not...that would cost another million or so, and not come to any conclusion! :p
 

n0doz

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
674
Location
Metro PHX AZ
Direct result of all the criticism for them not rushing in to help. Once they did "rush" in, they got taken by the con artists.
Funny - the previous president's FEMA took twice as long to respond to a hurricane in the 90's, but never was criticized. Amazing what a change of political party can do.
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
n0doz said:
Direct result of all the criticism for them not rushing in to help. Once they did "rush" in, they got taken by the con artists.
Funny - the previous president's FEMA took twice as long to respond to a hurricane in the 90's, but never was criticized. Amazing what a change of political party can do.
Mostly due to all the spending in the IRAQ War.

FEMA was established in 1979 by President Jimmy Carter. What did they do before FEMA?
 

cristisphoto

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
739
Sereves the m RIGHT!!!!

GOOOD!!!!
serves FEMA right!!
Furthemore, I wouldn't call them all phony...
Though they have ebeen obtained fraudently..
A foootball game or vacation may very well have been the difference btween somoene robbing a bank and/or killin folks:twisted:
or steeppin away from toal devstaion for few minutes be it at Game or out of the country,,,

And that one who got a Sex change....
Well you don't just get go down to the store and buy it,,,
The Surgeon WILL want proof of one living as the desired for a while
and ESPECIALLY A Shrink sayin ON PAPER that you have the OK...
And even then, most employers WILL NOT hire you without surgery or proof you on the way to gettin on....
SOooo
Phony I THINK NOT!!!!
Anyways
Regrads to all
Crista

OH yeah and Senators, elected polioticians EVERY night and day the spend LITERRALY
100 BUCKS ON A STEAK DINNER

(while folks LITEralLY are Starvin )
I can show you where myself if you don't bleieve me...
AND Ride in a limo!
Live in theire Condos,,,:evil:
And then They have the GAll to whine about A civilian Getting over?????

Screw OM
NAww better yet F EM
LOL
 

mike_webb59

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
201
Location
New Braunfels, TX
I wonder how many false claims were filed in all states that receive Federal Aid during hurricanes (Florida, & the Carolinas, for example), or is this just uniqiue to this area and this event?

I found it somewhat poetic that at the time of Katrina and the aftermath, the Emergency Management Director for the State of Louisiance was under indictment for fraud.
 

datainmotion

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 9, 2001
Messages
2,268
Location
Colorado
Sounds like indictment is a right of passage in New Orleans and the surroung parrish for goverment officials.
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
mike_webb59 said:
I wonder how many false claims were filed in all states that receive Federal Aid during hurricanes (Florida, & the Carolinas, for example), or is this just uniqiue to this area and this event?
Florida had problems too, but from the other side of the fence. While people in the most devastated areas were still waiting over a year for claim settlements, and repairs, other much less affected areas were receiving the "Red Carpet" treatment. One home owner received some gigantic amount of money (can't remember the figure), and the only damage he had was some shingles blew off the roof. This wasn't due to him filing exaggerated, or false claims, but by the system, and the insurance companies being uninformed, and confused (which is a nice way of saying they were not qualified to do their job, or just didn't care).
 

cristisphoto

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
739
Exactlyy....

MacombMonitor said:
Florida had problems too, but from the other side of the fence. While people in the most devastated areas were still waiting over a year for claim settlements, and repairs, other much less affected areas were receiving the "Red Carpet" treatment. One home owner received some gigantic amount of money (can't remember the figure), and the only damage he had was some shingles blew off the roof. This wasn't due to him filing exaggerated, or false claims, but by the system, and the insurance companies being uninformed, and confused (which is a nice way of saying they were not qualified to do their job, or just didn't care).
Another VERY good point!! lol
Crista

Fema is a F---d up system and whatevr happens too then is Pure Karma...
And a joy for me too watch
 

hoser147

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
4,439
Location
Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio
Well I think that they just rushed in due to the severe nature of things and although there are probably people out there that rush to disasters in order to steal from everyone. I for one am glad FEMA was here 2 years ago when we had a major Ice storm and went a week without power. 4 hours into the storm my basement started to flood 5 of us carried buckets out while big Oak branches and trees fell till morning when I could call around in an attempt to find a generator. none to be had so we rested in shifts to try and stop the flooding Day 2 found were a lowes had just got a truckload of generators in In another state. Put one on my charge card for it to be held for me. Got in my 4 wheel drive and drove were I had to get around. Heated house with propane and cooked on a campstove, more fortunate than most around here. Approx 1 moth afterwards I noticed a sign up in reference to Fema and called them. They sent a independant estimator and surveyed the damage looked over my reciepts and when it was all said and done Fema sent a check for the Generator, Damage to the house and included the cost of the fuel and propane we used. I still lost out on things but something is better than nothing at all. Im sure they were overwhelmed by the katrina ordeal so was the Red Cross and many other agencies and everyone has learned from the situation and they are going after the bad guys. Politics is a whole nother issue the constitution says we the people not we the politians........hoser147
 

cristisphoto

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
739
If they helped you then Kudo's to them buut...

hoser147 said:
Well I think that they just rushed in due to the severe nature of things and although there are probably people out there that rush to disasters in order to steal from everyone. I for one am glad FEMA was here 2 years ago when we had a major Ice storm and went a week without power. 4 hours into the storm my basement started to flood 5 of us carried buckets out while big Oak branches and trees fell till morning when I could call around in an attempt to find a generator. none to be had so we rested in shifts to try and stop the flooding Day 2 found were a lowes had just got a truckload of generators in In another state. Put one on my charge card for it to be held for me. Got in my 4 wheel drive and drove were I had to get around. Heated house with propane and cooked on a campstove, more fortunate than most around here. Approx 1 moth afterwards I noticed a sign up in reference to Fema and called them. They sent a independant estimator and surveyed the damage looked over my reciepts and when it was all said and done Fema sent a check for the Generator, Damage to the house and included the cost of the fuel and propane we used. I still lost out on things but something is better than nothing at all. Im sure they were overwhelmed by the katrina ordeal so was the Red Cross and many other agencies and everyone has learned from the situation and they are going after the bad guys. Politics is a whole nother issue the constitution says we the people not we the politians........hoser147
In your case they did a very good job
However, they are indeed a prejudiced system
whom with some ,help ONLY if their is an alterior motive
But hey
If they helped you then Kudo's too them
Regards,
Crista
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
cristisphoto said:
. . . .However, they are indeed a prejudiced system
whom with some ,help ONLY if their is an alterior motive
. . .. .

Evidence?:confused:
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
1,195
Location
Texas
A few months ago when all those tornadoes went through MO there was a family who's house and farm was completely destroyed. Their neighbors came over and in 13 hours they rebuilt the house, the barn, numerous outbuildings and had electricity and water restored. That is what was done before FEMA. There's still houses waiting to be repaired in New Orleans more than 9 months after Hurricane Nagin all because people are too lazy to rebuild themselves and think the government should do it (and in many cases are so used to the government doing things for them as to be totally useless to society.)
 

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2001
Messages
6,841
Location
Ann Arbor, Michigan
MacombMonitor said:
FEMA was established in 1979 by President Jimmy Carter. What did they do before FEMA?
There was the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency (DCPA) prior to this time. They were created in 1971 from the former Office of Civil Defense (OCD). Their main area of expertise was planning for a nuclear war and the subsquent fallout that would follow.

"In the early 1970s, under intense pressure from Governors of the states and others who believed that the concept of separated civil defense and emergency preparedness functions was outdated, the federal level organizations moved toward allowing the dual-use of civil defense funds and equipment to be utilized for natural disaster preparedness. In 1971, the OCD was renamed to the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency (DCPA), but retained its basic functions, and the OEP remained intact within the Executive Office of the President. DCPA continued to provide 50/50 matching funds for the "dual-use" concept of civil defense/emergency preparedness at the state and local level. The only visible change at DCPA was that their personnel would now assist state and local governments in developing plans for natural disaster as well as nuclear attacks. Despite the relatively peaceful relationship between the Soviet Union and the U.S., the decision was made to maintain a modest civilian defense program."

73's

Ron
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top