• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ferrite install on antenna coax entering radio

Danny37

I'm trying to lower the noise coming in through the antenna on a mobile install. Does either orientation matter when snapping on a ferrite core on the end of the antenna coax going into the radio?

(Example shown is of a usb cable not a RF coax)

Attachments

• 20240418_203916.jpg
    20240418_203916.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240418_203730(0).jpg
    20240418_203730(0).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 14

Danny37

For a particular ferrite mix there will be a specific number of turns needed to target a frequency range and your first picture is typical of how it’s done. Are you working with HF or VHF/UHF?
UHF, more specifically, GMRS and the lower end of T-band. How many turns would work?

prcguy

UHF, more specifically, GMRS and the lower end of T-band. How many turns would work?
I‘ve never come across a need for ferrites on a UHF mobile install, there is not much inside a car that will generate RFI at UHF and anything that might be a problem would just get picked up by the antenna. Otherwise for VHF/UHF usually three to four #43 mix or Laird 28 mix snap on ferrite beads in series over the cable does a good job.

merlin

For noise, you really need an iron powder toroid or clamp on type. UHF/GMRS, I have never had the need. Low band down through HF it become more necesseary. That is where the noise comes in through the antenna and you have to live with that.
For common mode rejection, then the #43 mix ferrite as prcguy suggest will work.

Danny37

Thanks guys. Very informative to know for future installs as well. Plan on installing a vhf rig in my brother's car

VK6NCB

I‘ve never come across a need for ferrites on a UHF mobile install, there is not much inside a car that will generate RFI at UHF and anything that might be a problem would just get picked up by the antenna. Otherwise for VHF/UHF usually three to four #43 mix or Laird 28 mix snap on ferrite beads in series over the cable does a good job.
here in Australia cheap LED spotlight drivers will wipe out UHF CB comms.
I have good LED headlamps which cause no issues, and a cheap work light wired as a reverse light with a 9-36V driver that wipes out everything from FM broadcast to UHF CB (477MHz) for a couple of metres around the car