Few questions about 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonskie

Just got my 436 a day ago it is setup and scanning. So far it's great!

Does the squelch affect digital as well as analog transmissions.?

What level do you set your squelch at default was 2 I set it to 7 to help filter out weak signals and range set to 0?

Also what is a good mono ear bud?

Anyone put a screen protector on the plastic screen and how did that work out?

Any cases yet?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the squelch setting affects all signals. If the incoming signal is not strong enough to "break squelch" then the scanner will never stop on the frequency.

Most people leave the squelch set to 2 or 3. No hard fast rule, though (except that "0" is generally bad for scanning speed).

The jack on the scanner is a stereo jack. Don't plug a mono plug into it (doing so shorts out 1/2 of the audio amp and reduces audio volume). Any earbuds would work. If you only want to listen in on ear, leave the other side dangling.

Vonskie

UpMan thank you for the reply.

What about using a stereo headset with a mike built in will that short anything out?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not knowing how the headset is wired, I could not say whether something (scanner or headset) could be damaged.

lawman210

It's a Stereo connector. I didn't realize the ear headset I just bought was a mono plug. Anyone know if putting a mono to stereo adapter helps increase audio and if it it will alleviate issues with grounding out the 436?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
It's a Stereo connector. I didn't realize the ear headset I just bought was a mono plug. Anyone know if putting a mono to stereo adapter helps increase audio and if it it will alleviate issues with grounding out the 436?

I had asked this in another thread and never really got a clear answer form UPman other than you need to use stereo headphones. I guess trying it out would be the best bet.....I would do so but do not have the adapter.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, if you are using a earphone that has a mono jack, you should use a stereo-to-mono adapter to prevent shorting the BTL Audio circuit. It will improve the audio.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Thank you for the clarification.

UPman, this is a little off topic, but is there a way for those of us who would like to do so, send in our scanners and have Uniden replace the headphone jacks with one that allows us to us non powered external speakers?

I have a small non powered speaker that would be better than my huge Uniden powered speaker I would like to have in my vehicle.

Just a thought.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No, we cannot modify the headphone jack in such a way. It would be very dangerous and open us up to all sorts of liability issues. (If you were to plug earbuds into the jack, turn up the volume while there was no transmission, then a transmission came through, there is a strong chance that your eardrums would end up in your elbows.)

lawman210

I will be picking a Stereo to mono adapter up today and I will let you know how it goes

tommypierson

Yes, the squelch setting affects all signals. If the incoming signal is not strong enough to "break squelch" then the scanner will never stop on the frequency.

Most people leave the squelch set to 2 or 3. No hard fast rule, though (except that "0" is generally bad for scanning speed).

The jack on the scanner is a stereo jack. Don't plug a mono plug into it (doing so shorts out 1/2 of the audio amp and reduces audio volume). Any earbuds would work. If you only want to listen in on ear, leave the other side dangling.

Why is this not mentioned on page 9 in the manual not to use MONO?????

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Why is this not mentioned on page 9 in the manual not to use MONO?????

Also, even in the "Technical Specifications" in the manual no mention is made that the headphone jack is stereo (although it is inferred by listing L-ch) and the speaker out jack is mono.

However, the manual is probably still a "work in progress" as the example boxes on pages 52 to 54 or so are either illegible or blank. No doubt these will be fixed when the Firmware situation becomes less fluid so they will not have to be changed again.

I am thankful to UPMan for letting us have what ever info was available, it sure helped, even if some parts still need work!

In a way we are being given an opportunity to help make the manual better, like your question which may cause this kind of info to be mentioned in an update of the manual's PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.