Few questions about the Pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel10263

Well guys I want to buy a The Pro 164, my needs are: aviation airband, police, and trunked radio systems. I have a few question about this scanner:
1. How is the reception for the airband?
2. Does it have a lot of hiss noise.
3. It is user-friendly?
4. Should I consider buy another scanner from radio shack?
5. Will this scanner long last enough?

Well guys I don't want a bad quality Radio Scanner, or that can easely be damaged, cause if I bought this scanner I will not be avaible to change it for another one.... cause I live outside from the United States so if it does not work I couldn't change it for another one... I'm looking forward for you reviews!!

FLA2760

I have the PRO 164 and it is a very good scanner. It does very well with the trunked systems as well as the air band. I also use the ARC 300 software from BUTEL and the radio shack PC cable to program the radio. However, I find the PRO 164 easy to program by hand too. I use the Diamond RH77CA or the Radio Shack 800 MHZ antennas for all my scanning. I will buy 2 more next time they go on sale one for me the other for my daughter.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164 = psr-300

Well guys I want to buy a The Pro 164, my needs are: aviation airband, police, and trunked radio systems. I have a few question about this scanner:
1. How is the reception for the airband?
I have the PSR-300 which is the GRE version of this scanner. They make the PRO-164. I have no complaints about reception in the airband, but I almost always use an external antenna.

2. Does it have a lot of hiss noise.
No more than other scanners. It does not "crank up" in volume as high as the PRO-97.

3. It is user-friendly?
Yes.

4. Should I consider buy another scanner from radio shack?
Or get the GRE model from an online supplier.

5. Will this scanner long last enough?
I am still operating scanners that were manufactured in the early 1970s. These things will "run forever" if you take care of them.

Well guys I don't want a bad quality Radio Scanner, or that can easely be damaged...
These are not made to be dropped. If you think that might happen, then get a good quality protective case to put it in (regardless of what model you purchase).

Status
Not open for further replies.