few questions related to taking the steps in ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourcheese

I work nights and sometimes this ER is a little slow and I discovered number stations on random wikipedia searches. This lead me to wanting to be able to actually listen to them, and so down the rabbit hole I went.

Now Ive found this page as well as a few others, a few facebook groups, and purchased the arrl ham radio license manual to study for my technicians exam.

Few questions... I understand that most number stations transmit around 4000 khz to 17000 khz. (source Station Schedule › Priyom.org )

Would a basic transceiver be able to pick up these frequencies? (I know that I would most likely not beable to transmit.. thats not what Im intending. I would stay within the confines of the frequencies of my technicians when I obtain one.) Or would it be best to just pick up a shortwave receiver?

also does anyone know of any decent android apps that have test bank questions for the technician exam?

Thank you.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If you're wanting to listen, no license is required.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I used AA9PW Ham Exam practice page for my practice tests.

If you're looking for portable shortwave listener, there are a few iCOM units, such as the REPLY, that people seem happy with, but these are receivers only. I do not know about low frequency reception though.

I'm not aware of a handheld HF transceiver.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Please know that even the best of portable SW receivers are going to be quite limited in what they can do in a building, especially a hospital ER. I would imagine there could be a high potential for RFI in a setting like that with all the medical equipment that would be running full time.

At the low cost of the unit that @dcr_inc suggested it could still be worth while and provide a good means of getting acquainted with receivers in general. Just don't let the environment the receiver is operating in discourage you from progressing with your interest in amateur radio. We all would very much like to see you get your ticket.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Please know that even the best of portable SW receivers are going to be quite limited in what they can do in a building, especially a hospital ER. I would imagine there could be a high potential for RFI in a setting like that with all the medical equipment that would be running full time.
You're right. Hospitals and especially ERs are notorious for interfering with a radio's transmission and reception. The inability of any radio to operate in a hospital setting is not indicative of the quality of the radio.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
and so down the rabbit hole I went
As was previously mentioned, you don't need a license (in the USA) just to listen, but any modern HF ham transceiver will receive the numbers stations frequencies (plus lots and lots more).

As for studying, you will need to find a way of studying that works for you. Personally, I like Ham Test Online. Your mileage will vary. I'd also recommend visiting an amateur radio club if there is one in your community. One-on-one interaction is a great motivator and a good way to learn about both radio theory, but also about the practical aspects of amateur radio, including equipment selection.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I studied online through the ARRL. It was free. Register, and you can study all material there, and take online sample tests. Just passed my Tech. I will use this service to study for General. Good luck!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If you have unlimited data on your phone plan, or WiFi access at work, consider using on of the online remote HF receivers. They might give you a better feel as to some of the signals that are out there, especially with the limited reception you will, most likely, have at the hospital.

Sent using Tapatalk

W5lz

Sourcheese - I think you've found out that you may have gotten a little information over load at this point. So, to keep it really simple, and complex at the same time... Amateur radio (ham) radio has had it's fingers in every type/form of communications that you can think of, and was the start of a lot of them. Texting on a phone? It's a form of packet radio and guess where that started. TV, same thing. Well, to be honest ham radio probably didn't 'invent' it, but it sure advanced it's capabilities a bunch. Oh well.
There's no particular hurry about getting into this hobby. You can take as long as you want, or jump off into it with both feet. It's not really that difficult, no more than getting into anything that you don't know much about. (Just like 'dropping' an E.T. tube the first time? Now that's sort of a 'stretch', but not by much.)
This hobby requires a license. That's to make sure you don't interfere with stuff or kill your self in the process. You really don't have to be a genius to get one (much). If some of the people you see come through your doors can do it, why the #&$$ can't you?? Right?
Enough... Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.