Fhp

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsmoore

Database Admin
No scanner can follow the State of Florida System .They also use fulltime encryption so if a scanner ever comes out for Pro-Voice digital then you still will not be able to listen.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
like wsmoore said! If a scanner does come out it would be close to a $1,000 or more. I don't think they will make a scanner that can pick up ESK.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
bravo14 said:
like wsmoore said! If a scanner does come out it would be close to a $1,000 or more. I don't think they will make a scanner that can pick up ESK.

It would not be legal to manufacture a scanner that could decode encryption, even if it were possible.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
W4KRR said:
It would not be legal to manufacture a scanner that could decode encryption, even if it were possible.
thank you. I am so sick of hearing people say otherwise.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Backwards? How so? If your referencing the legality of manufacturing a scanner capable of decoding an "encrypted transmission", the law is Federal and not State or Local.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Why, specifically, would it be "illegal" to manufacture a scanner capable of decoding encrypted transmissions?

I've never heard that before.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Because it's federal law...that's why. Besides, if you bought an encrypted system
would you want an outsider to be able to listen? Agencies buy encryption for a
reason and it would be counterproductive if it was.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
I am truly not trying to be argumentative, but to just understand. What federal law? I don't expect you to cite a statue, for example, but can you clarify, is this an FCC thing, or a department of commerce thing protecting copyrights (like pay per view TV, for example)? Maybe its more like the MP3 download software.... it isn't illegal to produce or use the file sharing software, it only becomes illegal if you use it to download copyrighted material...

Perhaps its an FTC issue with patent-infringement assuming the encryption technology is patented. But if you independently "discover" something that someone else discovered first, that isn't illegal, unless you exploit their technology without their permission, or paying royalties etc etc. Complicated- yes. And patents DO expire. I imagine that "once upon a time" GE's original EDACS stuff was proprietary, and perhaps even Moto's trunking, but look how that's proliferated.

so again, it is actually illegal to manufacture and/or own a decrypting scanner (or decrypting software), or does the illegality arise of what you do with it?

BTW-I think its inevitable that a decrypting scanner and/or some hacker's software will emerge that can follow encrypted systems. I think there are too many radio shops and radio techs out there that set up and program new radios that go on line to expect all that proprietary stuff to stay bottled up forever....

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Here is the collection of Federal Laws on the interception of encrypted wireless communications:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_119.html

As to deciphering, there are tons of encryption out there from voice inversion to the key style AES & DES which can be up to 256 bit. It was been proven that to break a 256 bit cypher it could take years to do it with the numerous combinations. With this being the case and being EE's developed the capabilities, it is safe to assume that a hacker would spend an long time trying to break a code to listen to the typical investigative or protective communications that is typically changed by an agency at undetermined times.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
FHP and Encrypted Comms and the future---

Follow on to the post titled FHP which I was in the process of hijacking, so I have started a new thread. Thanks for the tolerance. Good dialog!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.